What steps can parents implement to imbue their children with a more positive an

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

What steps can parents implement to imbue their children with a more positive and creative work

ethic?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8170498_f260.jpg

2. CraftytotheCore profile image74
    CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years ago

Instilling a go-getter attitude allowing the child to embrace creativity and knowledge.

Praising children often!  Helping them establish routine and stability by setting good examples.

Bringing awareness to endless possibility for achieving success through encouragement to pursue dreams that are important to the child.

Setting standards and structure for the child to learn from a young age not just at home but will carry through life to help guide them in pursuit of a career.

Allowing the child enough space to keep their dreams high.  Offering them assistance, guidance, and perseverance guidelines through role modeling these attributes.

Teaching children how to take advantage of opportunities that the world offers today through technology, learning new languages, traveling to different places. 

Educating them through the eyes of top executives who made it to the top successfully and have maintained success through smarts and confidence.

Allowing them all the possible extra-activities that are offered, if affordable, if they want to pursue them to enhance their education.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

YEEEEESSSS, what you have presented is the BEST type of education!

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We had a simple rule. If you were not out doing something. Here is some work to do. If getting out and doing things becomes a habit. Cool. Then so does learning and working.

3. dandelionweeds profile image78
    dandelionweedsposted 10 years ago

You could just give them praise and never tell them how to improve and creativity, unless they ask.

4. intouch profile image62
    intouchposted 10 years ago

Just like school, each year is an accomplishment and brings on its rewards. So does chores at home, each thing assigned from little up is an accomplishment, a graduating experience to something new and more challenging. Anything boring can be made fun. Use your creativity to made one thing boring into a challenging game, a reward. It does not need to be money. Good deeds is not always rewarded with money. It's building a name for oneself! Become someone that others will look up to and want to be around you for your skill!

5. RealityTalk profile image60
    RealityTalkposted 10 years ago

I'm not sure I'm the best one to answer this question, because I'm not sure if it is anything I have done or I'm just lucky to have great kids.

My 17 year old son has received no less than 200 requests from colleges nationwide asking him to apply.  He is just starting his Senior year at High School and he already has a scholarship to one University.  His grade point average has been no less than 98.5 since 8th grade.  He has been Class President, Student Body President (currently). He is in the International Baccalaureate program. He has letter in sports.  He has starred in 13 theatre plays outside school & several in school. He attends math contests. He came in second in a Shakespeare contest (the first in his school's history to even place). He he is popular with a lot of friends.  He goes to parties all the time.  Everybody likes him.  And he is not afraid to try anything.  He is now working a part-time job.  And he is applying to Stanford & Harvard.  I could go on and on.  And this is just my son.  My 14 year old and 10 year old daughters are also overachievers and following in their brother's footsteps.

If it is anything I have done, it may be the following.  I raised my all 3 of my children from birth to now working from a home office.  Many times my children went to work with me.  I started a trend in my area where I brought my baby son to Family Court and House Closings; I'm an attorney.  I think I got away with it, because I'm a man.  I'm not sure a woman would have as it just struck people that a man was doing what a woman usually did. I started almost 18 years ago.
    I have also read to my children and sat and played, burped, fed, cured the boo boos.  I talked to my children and I still do. I tailor my talks to the age & the moment, but I always take time with each child to listen & encourage them in anything they want to do.  I have never sworn at my kids; I have never hit my kids (I have a deep voice & that scares them enough.lol).  I never tell my kids that can't do something. 

Kids need positive encouragement.  They need to know someone is always there for them. Friends come and go, but parents should be a base a child can always come to, no matter how old the grow.  I also share my mistakes (age appropriate) and when I am wrong I admit so.  I never let my kids forget I'm there parent, not another friend. My kids don't keep secrets from me. Even I can't believe that. I'm very lucky. Honesty & love goes a long way to make great kids.

6. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

Give them chores to do! Give them an allowance for being a contributing member of the family and EXPECT them to contribute, regardless of the allowance. (In other words, don't pay them to do what they should know to do on their own, and don't withhold their tiny paycheck if they fail occasionally.)

Give them as much responsibility and freedom as they can handle. Hold them accountable for the bad and praise the good they do. Let them try anything as long as it's safe and not likely to harm them or anyone else. (For example, chemistry or physics kit, art classes, dancing lessons, 4-H or Scouts, taking local community ed. classes even if they're the only kid in the room (with someone's permission, probably, like the teacher), community theater, creating their own web site/blog (but monitor it)...

Thanks to my parents, I could walk a tight rope, stand on someone else's shoulders, climb mountains and do rock climbing from the minute I could walk, took an archaeology class at the associate's level in 7th grade (got an A), I was programming our home computer in 6th grade. I read ee cummings, Kipling, Shakespeare, Poe, Twain, and Lovecraft in early grade school. I was an accomplished classical pianist by age 9 due to practicing 2-4 hours a day (my choice) and my sister was by age 5. My sister and I were taken to numerous famous and tiny museums and parks across the nation, and I met many artists and musicians and other performers and learned about their work ethic first-hand. I started my first business at age 6, selling hand-beaded necklaces at an arts and crafts show, and started polishing Lake Superior agates and growing salt and alum crystals without supervision when I was 7; I've done my own taxes since age 7--though my folks checked them for accuracy the first few years...

So, most of all, just give them opportunities and demonstrate work ethic and consequences. Show them what can be accomplished with patience, diligence, creativity, and perseverance; and perspiration, of course. And, let them see you fail--because real people fail often, too, even with good work ethic.

Let them be wild, with you as their control and compass/guide and safety net.

My sister is now a highly respected lawyer/manager, and I think I turned out okay too despite only having a B.A. (in Physics, writing minor). I wouldn't trade my parents or my childhood for anything, but it was very hard: being accountable to myself first and foremost for my work ethic and its results.

1. CraftytotheCore profile image74
      CraftytotheCoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I too am a piano player Laura.  It's nice to see another thing we have in common!  Growing up on a farm, I believe 4-H is important these days, but most schools around here have closed.  I find that very sad.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There is NOTHING like chores to build a great work ethic in a child.  Being doing chores, children learn the positive feeling of accomplishment and self-sufficiency. This translates into academic and later, work achievement!

7. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 10 years ago

Children need to learn from their own mistakes and choices, whatever they choose to do it should worth their while

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)