What steps that parents can/should implement to assure that their child speak an

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

What steps that parents can/should implement to assure that their child speak and read very

early in their development (9 months to 2 years of age)?  In terms of learning, the earlier a child starts the better off he/she will be in school and later in life.  Psychologists, educators, and social scientists maintain that the crucial learning periods are THE FIRST 5 years of a child's life. They strongly assert that this is when a child's learning patterns are established for good or for ill. Studies have also shown that the earlier a child can speak, the better off he/she will be.  Studies have confirmed that children who speak late ofentimes develop speech difficulties and problems..

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8388781_f260.jpg

2. edas88 profile image87
    edas88posted 5 years ago

As an educational professional, I can tell you that one thing a person should not do is address a small child by cooing all the time. In fact, I am entirely against it, because some parents and grandparents just don't have measure. Talking to a child normally, not too fast and no too slow with clear pronunciation is a way to increase the odds of better and faster language acquisition, but again it is no guarantee that your child will learn faster.

Another crucial thing is to never interrupt a child when he/she is speaking, as this may create problems later on.

You have to keep in mind that some people are just born linguists and that they learn faster and are able to read at four. Speaking and reading at 9-24 months is virtually impossible and a child can be in the telegraphic phase at 2 years old at best (forming phrases but not sentences). From two onwards kids start forming sentences, and by three we can expect to have some children being really good speakers, but most will take longer to form proper sentences that are grammatically correct.

However, at each of these stages, children understand much more than they can say, so the best things to do are:
    1. Don't interrupt them when they are expressing themselves
    2. Speak clearly and coherently in front of them
    3. Read stories to them and ask them questions to ensure they understand you (when they are about two)

The year 4 and 5 are also good to play some memory games with your kids.

gmwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer.  I find cooing to a baby quite detrimental  and degrading, babies are intelligent and should be treated thus.

3. CraftytotheCore profile image81
    CraftytotheCoreposted 5 years ago

I have two children, and they are very different from one another.

My daughter spoke full sentences at 1 year old.  She used large words, very mature for her age.

My son knew what he wanted to say and was very intelligent, but he couldn't pronounce the words.  He was diagnosed with phonological disorder. 

These are some things I did. 
    1)  I played classical music on CDs throughout each pregnancy.
    2)  I talked to my children and read stories at bedtime during my pregnancy to set up good routine for when they were born.
    3)  I purchased many books and started a library for my children.
    4)  After my children were born, I read to them every day.  I stayed home with them.  I spoke clearly to them as if they were other adults.  I never used baby talk or baby babble.
    5)  I often praised my children.  I never used derogatory words or insulted by children.
    6)  I addressed my children to use their words if they needed something from me, instead of acknowledging their pointing (like babies some time do and grunt for something) or talking for them.  I never spoke for my children, I always encouraged them to tell me what they needed even if I knew, because I wanted to strengthen their communication skills.
    7)  I spoke slowly to them instead of rushing through words expecting them to understand me without becoming frustrated.
    8)  I set up chalkboard walls in my home and created an art center so they could use their creative imaginations. My children had many toys.  I converted the basement in to a play room and invited friends over often.  We also hung out at the park with other children as much as possible.

When they were in pre-k, I enrolled them in school.  Because my public school had a lottery and could only pick one of my children, I enrolled them in private school. 

I ended up homeschooling when my son was diagnosed with Autism so that I could take him to all of the necessary medical appointments and care for him round the clock.  I took him to the best hospitals in Boston for speech evaluations and then enrolled him in a local one where I had to take him 2 x a week for 6 months.  Then, I enrolled him in public school when I felt he was able to learn without having constant meltdowns and being disruptive to the other students or teacher. 

My children are both avid readers.  My son speaks fluently in English and Spanish now even though he still needs speech therapy for parts of his disorder.

Please write a hub relating to this.  This hub will be required reading for parents who have encountered similar situations with their children.  Please write a hub on THIS, it will be appreciated!

2. CraftytotheCore profile image81
      CraftytotheCoreposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ok! big_smile

3. gmwilliams profile image84

What you have presented is an excellent treatise in child development.  It is PRICELESS.  You are an excellent and insightful parent!  A+!

4. DDE profile image26
    DDEposted 4 years ago

Parents  should allow their children to read from an eraly age by on their own free will, and influence  children to play smartly. Out door activities and the constant talking from parent to child plays a huge role fro speaking and reading.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)