jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Did your parents use the "because I told you so?"

1. Christa Swope profile image37
    Christa Swopeposted 4 years ago

Did your parents use the "because I told you so?"

If not, I'd love to hear what they said instead.

2. VVanNess profile image87
    VVanNessposted 4 years ago

Yes, and I hated it. I have made it a point not to be like that myself, but to actually give good thoughtful reasons behind the things I ask,

3. profile image0
    cjaroszposted 4 years ago

Yes, and as a parent I have found myself saying it. I try to make a point to explain. However, with a 2 year old. I could explain all day why not to do something. In the end, all he understands is no, because i said so.

4. DDE profile image25
    DDEposted 4 years ago

I did not give my parents the benefit of those words''I told you so''

5. thumbi7 profile image66
    thumbi7posted 4 years ago

My parents never used an accusing tone. As far as my memory goes my parents always respected me as I am. Whenever they had to correct me they did it very privately  (not in front of others) and by explaining things to me, not by scolding me.

6. profile image0
    dragonflycolorposted 4 years ago

You bet your bottom dollar they did.  As a result, I now use that phrase and it gets the job done.  However, I do try to explain why "I said so", so they are not left with the feeling of discontentment.  I don't want to be a dictator in my house, but I don't want to be disrespected as I see other children do to their parents.  If I ask you to clean your room and tell you why it is important to do so, and you don't do it, then I pull out the "because I said so."

working