jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is spanking children the best way of implementing discipline?

1. jemuelO profile image90
    jemuelOposted 3 years ago

Is spanking children the best way of implementing discipline?

2. Penny G profile image71
    Penny Gposted 3 years ago

The old way of thinking included spanking, but we know so much more today and it effects are to some children emotionally damaging even when done in a none physical damaging way. It produces fear and that is the last thing we want our children to do is fear us. Yes I did spank my children but my children do not spank theirs and are effective parents .

1. jemuelO profile image90
      jemuelOposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Childhood experiences play a big role in person's personality and mentality. Results are not seen during childhood, but are highly manifested during adulthood.
      Thank you for sharing your answer!

3. WiccanSage profile image96
    WiccanSageposted 3 years ago

No; pretty much all the data we have by experts agrees on one thing: spanking is the least effective form of discipline, and more likely to cause other problems (like aggression and mental health issues).

We're a civilized society. We can raise our kids in a civilized manner if we so choose. 35 countries have outlawed corporal punishment, I fail to understand why we don't.

There's a fine line between spanking and domestic violence sometimes, and by not taking a stand to outlaw corporal punishment we are leaving that line very blurred.

4. Link10103 profile image75
    Link10103posted 3 years ago

There is a difference between spanking a child and abusing them.

If a parent is able to find that line of difference, (through the use of common sense...), I dont see much wrong with spanking when absolutely needed. Had half the jerkwads in my classes during my last year of highschool been spanked growing up, they probably would not have been utter douchebags.

working