jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you have any tips for balancing raising an infant and a writing career?

1. Larry Rankin profile image96
    Larry Rankinposted 2 years ago

Do you have any tips for balancing raising an infant and a writing career?

I recently became a stay at home parent, a job I cherish, but at times it becomes unnervingly difficult taking care of my little girl all day and finding the reserve energy to write.  I would be thankful for any tips, or even just a sympathetic story detailing any similar problems you've had.

2. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

Firstly, congratulations on the bubba, and I hope you enjoy being a SAHP.

Whilst my wee one is in daycare for 32hrs a week, as I had to return to work, I am in a similar position re: writing.

I find that I've had to function on less sleep (thankfully babies are good at conditioning you to this anyway!) if I want to write. I'll write after my wee one has gone to bed, or is having a nap on the days we are at home together during the day.

It's slow going (at least when it's a novel like me, and the occasional web content etc) and you need to have a supportive partner if you are going to write after bubs is in bed, as they kind of get ignored for the nights you are writing.

The thing is - when they are smaller, needing more sleep, they are actually easier to fit your writing around.  As they get bigger - like my daughter at 1yr - they don't need to have as much sleep, and need more attention as they move around so much - you get less time during the day.

Sorry if I'm not helpful...but I can be sympathetic!

3. chuckandus6 profile image77
    chuckandus6posted 2 years ago

I am a busy mom too, I find that writing tidbits of ideas down as I go, helps I also start a few different hubs and work on them a little at a time.usually finishing them in the late hours of the night.but where a baby is likely to sleep,compared to a 4 & 5 year old during the day,this gives you a little more time.Adorable Baby By The Way..Congratulations.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago

Write while the baby is taking its naps. Especially the important parts of writing.

5. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

Realize that you don't have to be the center of the kid's universe. It is OK and actually healthy for the kid to play in a bouncer for an hour while you write.