Should I have a separate bank account from my partner?

1. Jojo Yousef profile image71
    Jojo Yousefposted 2 years ago

Should I have a separate bank account from my partner?

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image82
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

I have a joint account with my husband but a separate account where my direct deposit from work goes into.  Just makes it easier to pay bills that way and have a little extra cash where I can spend on something and not have him monitoring what I use my money on.

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Interesting question. I am a believer accepting each has autonomy within a relationship as well as the relationship itself is autonomous. Not being in a marital or economic living together relationship I must share this is off the cuff sort to speak.

If I had my druthers I would wish to have three if not more accounts. I would want my own checking/ATM account, one for my partner, and one for us. That leads toward savings accounts and their management too. I say this as my impulse purchases should not affect 'us' nor my partners.

Probably I arrive to this conclusion most because we as a society are centered so much on ATM usage. In the near distant past cash was the means and dispersal of disposable funds for impulse purchases. A central checking account most likely served the purpose for the 'us' concept. Therefore a three account system seems to be emulating the past concept with a central checking source with two resources for cash dispersal.

working