jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

As a child, were your parents encouraging, nurturing, & instilled high self-conf

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

As a child, were your parents encouraging, nurturing, & instilled high self-confidence in you or

were your parents soul devouring, even soul destroying, discouraging, critical, & routinely diminished your self-confidence to the point where you have an inferiority complex?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8222497_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

In my case my parents were either too busy raising five kids all born two years apart, in the case of my mother, or a father who was away for six years of my life fighting as a soldier in WW2.   When the war finished I rarely saw him except for very short periods on weekends.  So I cannot blame Nurture, good or bad, on my self-confidence or otherwise.

I was quite shy as a child.   However,I think what gradually brought on today's confidence - and it is there, I've spoken to a thousand audiences ranging in number from half-a-dozen to a couple of hundred people - to my years in the Navy.  I served on small ships, two on which I was the only radioman aboard. 

Even so, I found that my gaining in 'self-esteem' came from a lifetime of sustained study, different types of work, and always aiming to becoming a better me in all three areas of life: body, mind, and spirit.  I believe in lifetime learning and I'm still at it at seventy-nine.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well spoken sir as always!

3. Akriti Mattu profile image77
    Akriti Mattuposted 2 years ago

Absolutely. I am so thankful to have one of the most evolved and liberal parents ever. I owe my self confidence to them.

working