jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What factors separates highly educated parents(college & graduate school degreed

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What factors separates highly educated parents(college & graduate school degreed) from

lowly educated parents (high school or elementary school educated) in terms of being more open-minded, accepting, and liberal in terms of childrearing and methods of child discipline?  What makes highly educated parents more mature in terms of parenting practices than lowly educated parents?

2. brutishspoon profile image67
    brutishspoonposted 2 years ago

I am a parent who walked out of mainstream education at college level however I do not feel that my parenting practices are lower than those in my family who have had university education. This said I do see a difference in parents who work and those who don't. Alot of the time it is the parents own upbringing that determines how they bring up their own children not what level of education they have had.

3. cobrien profile image76
    cobrienposted 2 years ago

Highly educated parents tend to be older.

4. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Highly educated parents use more constructive, less corporal means of discipline on their children.  They are more likely to use more intellectual means of discipline i.e. time out to punish their children.  They are likely to engage in discussion with their children.  They are also unlikely to emphasis blind obedience in their children.  They stress individuality and independent thinking in their children although the latter's outlook and perspective may be different from theirs.  They view and treat their children as individuals and encourage independent thinking.  They do not emphasize noor believe in raising their children in strict gender roles.  They believe that each child, regardless of gender, can do what h/she wants to do, choose any career that h/she desires, and can go as far as his/her abilities permit him/her.  They avidly encourage intellectual and cultural activities.  In fact, highly educated parents emphasize the higher human needs, particularly self-actualization in their children.

Less educated parents use harsher forms of discipline.  They also use corporal punishment in disciplining their children.  They are less likely to discuss things with their children.   They are more likely to be authoritarian parents who believe that parents are superior while children are inferior.  They discourage, even mock independent thinking in their children, stressing blind obedience and conformity to authority.  They view their children as extensions and replicas of them, expecting their children to act accordingly.  They emphasize strict gender roles as to what their children can and cannot do and achieve. They are avid adherents to tradition and the status quo.  They do not believe in thinking outside the box.  They inculcate their children in such premises. They stress the more rudimentary human needs, believing that higher human needs are superfluous, even unnecessary for a child's development.  They believe that intellectual and cultural activities are a total waste of time and that education should be practical in scope.