If your job is causing chaos to the family but you make lots of money, should yo

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Janice Daniel profile image59
    Janice Danielposted 8 years ago

If your job is causing chaos to the family but you make lots of money, should you quit?

2. Billie Kelpin profile image85
    Billie Kelpinposted 8 years ago

a very difficult question.  We're facing the same issue, but we're older.  My husband just took another software coding position after retiring because we have fallen behind. Our whole lifestyle has now shifted to the 8-5 routine, but I have to adjust and become a team player, I guess. 
    Maybe yours is not an "either-or" situation.  However, "chaos" is a very strong word.  It might be time for a counselor.  I quit a job because I thought it would help my marriage 30 years ago.  My husband left shortly afterwards and I had to start all over again.  What I WISH I had done was confront the stress at work that was making me come home miserable.  It actually was one co-worker that made things almost unbearable which I'm sure affected my attitude at home.  Your employer might be more open to adjusting your schedule than you think.  If you consider your moves right now as if you're playing a strategy game on a chess board, it might help.  If the family knows there would be an end to this - a deadline, that might make your family more of a team and less chaotic.   Rewarding everyone with the hope of a trip soon, even if it has to be a small one,  could help get the family to see this as a group effort.   Some of the sentences I wrote for husbands in an app I created were:  "We'll tackle this together."  "I'm here to help."  "We're a great team."Just some thoughts from someone who really hasn't made all the best choices in life.  Again, maybe this is time for professional advice. This is a fork in the road, it seems. All good wishes to you, Janice.

3. Nicholas Kan profile image59
    Nicholas Kanposted 8 years ago

You should quit if problem persists. Happiness is what you would enjoy in your life but money can only buy you distractions to make you think you're happy (but you're really not). If anything happens, family and happiness comes first.

4. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12686973_f260.jpg

I suspect it's not the "job" causing chaos but rather the person working the job and how (they) handle it. In some instances family members aren't going to be your best "cheerleaders" in life. They're looking out for themselves even if it means holding you back from your potential. Life is a (personal) journey!
    If your family loves (you) they should encourage you rather than discourage you from fulfilling your dreams. Sometimes it's just a matter of letting them know how important your career is to you while at the same time setting their expectations of how you plan to celebrate with them.
    If you're dealing with children this may be one of those "teachable moments" where they learn you don't always get what (you) want.
    You have to work hard to get ahead and have nice things in life.
    Lowering your family's living standards is probably not in their best interest. Some friends of mine in Southern California sold a their townhome and moved into an apartment in an area for their child to attend a particular school. They were never able to get back into the home owner market but their son now has a degree from USC and then he moved several hundred miles away.
    They have been living in apartments for almost 20 years. With the high cost of real estate in Calif. they'd have a built in nest egg if they had chose to stay their original upscale neighborhood.
    It's never a good idea for a mature person to appease the immature. Nevertheless it's important to be honest with yourself.
    If (you) dislike your job and want to quit then do so.
    Ironically the older children become the less time they want to spend with their parents anyway. Make the most of weekends, holidays, and vacations.
    Everything will be fine in the end as they beam with pride over your accomplishments and how well you provided for them.

5. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 8 years ago

It depends upon the job. If you are working late nights and never see your family, that is not a good thing but it can be "worked out." For example, police and emergency personnel do often work odd hours. On the other hand, a woman who is working in a strip club would be better off finding another job---for sure. So....it depends upon what aspect of the job is causing the chaos....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)