jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What explanation did you give when your child watched TV and asked for the first

1. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 17 months ago

What explanation did you give when your child watched TV and asked for the first time "how did

all those people get into the television?"

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13175750_f260.jpg

2. profile image57
    Setank Setunkposted 17 months ago

I would be concerned about a child old enough to communicate this thought who had not determined long ago that these were just images of people.

3. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 17 months ago

To me "Concerned" is a odd thing to say. Children are introduced into our world. They learn the meaning of items and people from others. Depends at what age you are thinking of and what age am I thinking . Don't you think that would have relevance? Curiousity can stay silent within or said aloud and shared with others.

1. profile image57
      Setank Setunkposted 17 months agoin reply to this

I clearly stated the relevance of age when I spoke of a child old enough to communicate this thought. Most children solve this mystery before they can talk; even before they can walk.

4. WordCrafter09 profile image79
    WordCrafter09posted 17 months ago

None of my children asked me that.  That's not saying that none of them had the opportunity to ask their father or their grandmother.  The reply here about kids figuring out that the images are just that (long before they're in the "mode of asking") seemed right to me.   Then again, I do know kids wonder things without asking.  Really young children have different times for things like language and any number of other things (needless to say), so who reaches what stage at the same time he reaches some other stage is factor in the mix.  So might be how young someone is when exposed to "x amount" of television.

I have some memory of being two years old and quite a bit about being three.  I vaguely recall thinking the people on the set were in it, but I don't recall asking anyone.  What I recall more is being very young and asking about where the images came from and how they got onto the screen.  That was something I asked about from time to time, and I recall my father's answer being way too much for me to be able to understand.  (This was in the days of picture tubes, and black-and-white television only.  Maybe that made a difference because there was little chance, especially if a picture tube was in the starting-to-get-iffy stage, that I'd mistake anything on television for real.  By the time color television showed up (and it wasn't all that great for its own reasons) I was old enough to be way past the stage-in-question.

So maybe I didn't ask because of that.  It feels to me like I didn't ask when I was "vaguely thinking that" because, maybe, by the time I was in that "asking mode" my curiosity was more about how the images were sent to screens.  Another possibility is that I asked before I was old enough to recall asking.  So my own experience isn't all that useful here.

I think at least one or two (maybe all three in shared conversation) have said they recall thinking "that" about "people in the television". I just always kind of assumed their experience was similar to mine.  I'm fairly certain that if they'd asked me I would recall telling at least answering one of them (and if more than one had asked I'd certainly recall saying some version of the same thing two or three times).  I tend to assume very young children take it at face value for while, "think that", and fairly soon after reach the stage when they know better.

I'd think how much, who, how often, and when (age, stage, era) they first see television makes a difference.

5. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 17 months ago

They knew it the first time they touched the TV screen during the Sensorimotor Stage I would guess. It might have something to do with object permanence.

6. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

It was explained via wires and pictures transmitted via those wires, per the pieces of the TV my son showed me trying to get the answer to that question.

working