What explanation did you give when your child watched TV and asked for the first

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

What explanation did you give when your child watched TV and asked for the first time "how did

all those people get into the television?"

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13175750_f260.jpg

2. profile image53
    Setank Setunkposted 7 years ago

I would be concerned about a child old enough to communicate this thought who had not determined long ago that these were just images of people.

3. profile image0
    threekeysposted 7 years ago

To me "Concerned" is a odd thing to say. Children are introduced into our world. They learn the meaning of items and people from others. Depends at what age you are thinking of and what age am I thinking . Don't you think that would have relevance? Curiousity can stay silent within or said aloud and shared with others.

1. profile image53
      Setank Setunkposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I clearly stated the relevance of age when I spoke of a child old enough to communicate this thought. Most children solve this mystery before they can talk; even before they can walk.

4. WordCrafter09 profile image66
    WordCrafter09posted 7 years ago

None of my children asked me that.  That's not saying that none of them had the opportunity to ask their father or their grandmother.  The reply here about kids figuring out that the images are just that (long before they're in the "mode of asking") seemed right to me.   Then again, I do know kids wonder things without asking.  Really young children have different times for things like language and any number of other things (needless to say), so who reaches what stage at the same time he reaches some other stage is factor in the mix.  So might be how young someone is when exposed to "x amount" of television.

I have some memory of being two years old and quite a bit about being three.  I vaguely recall thinking the people on the set were in it, but I don't recall asking anyone.  What I recall more is being very young and asking about where the images came from and how they got onto the screen.  That was something I asked about from time to time, and I recall my father's answer being way too much for me to be able to understand.  (This was in the days of picture tubes, and black-and-white television only.  Maybe that made a difference because there was little chance, especially if a picture tube was in the starting-to-get-iffy stage, that I'd mistake anything on television for real.  By the time color television showed up (and it wasn't all that great for its own reasons) I was old enough to be way past the stage-in-question.

So maybe I didn't ask because of that.  It feels to me like I didn't ask when I was "vaguely thinking that" because, maybe, by the time I was in that "asking mode" my curiosity was more about how the images were sent to screens.  Another possibility is that I asked before I was old enough to recall asking.  So my own experience isn't all that useful here.

I think at least one or two (maybe all three in shared conversation) have said they recall thinking "that" about "people in the television". I just always kind of assumed their experience was similar to mine.  I'm fairly certain that if they'd asked me I would recall telling at least answering one of them (and if more than one had asked I'd certainly recall saying some version of the same thing two or three times).  I tend to assume very young children take it at face value for while, "think that", and fairly soon after reach the stage when they know better.

I'd think how much, who, how often, and when (age, stage, era) they first see television makes a difference.

5. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 7 years ago

They knew it the first time they touched the TV screen during the Sensorimotor Stage I would guess. It might have something to do with object permanence.

6. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

It was explained via wires and pictures transmitted via those wires, per the pieces of the TV my son showed me trying to get the answer to that question.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)