jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Can a woman asked a man to marry her?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image73
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

Can a woman asked a man to marry her?

Is it proper for a woman to ask a man she is in relationship with to marry her, or should she just wait for the man to ask her to marry him? What do you think?

2. ambee12 profile image80
    ambee12posted 5 years ago

If they have been in a relationship for a long time, then why not?  Women are fighting for equal pay and equal rights so asking a man she loves to marry her should not be ostracized.  Sometimes, the man may hesitate in asking a woman he loves to marry him because he could be under the impression that she is not ready so at least this way, the woman can express her feelings.  These days there is nothing like right or wrong.  One should do what he or she wants to do and let life that its course.

3. MsDora profile image95
    MsDoraposted 5 years ago

"Should a woman ask?"  Perhaps, under certain circumstances.  However your question is "can" she ask?  She most certainly can, if she is ready and the man is she's asking meets her requirements.

4. debbiepinkston profile image81
    debbiepinkstonposted 5 years ago

I think the woman can bring up the topic for both to discuss.  In many Latin American countries, there is no such thing as the "big proposal" and all the drama that goes with it...a couple simply begins to talk about the possibility of getting married and together they decide that they both want to take that step, and they start planning the marriage date and wedding. 

I personally think all the "proposal" with the guy on his knees, bringing out the little box with the big diamond is superficial and irrelevant, when the important issue is making sure both are ready to embark on this new journey together.

5. profile image0
    jcheng16posted 5 years ago

well times are changing, and though it's not the most common or traditional method woman do have the right to ask a man for marriage. however, they shouldn't be surprised if the man is taken back for a second because asking for one's hand in marriage is generally something a man takes pride in and something he has been waiting to do on his own time. however, if the woman feels it is time and it is appropriate by all means go for it.

6. profile image0
    JenineMianaposted 5 years ago

I think that once a couple is at the marriage point they both know anyway and even with that the man should be the one to ask, mostly because women tend to be more sentimental about the memory of that moment and the proposal is an important memory for a woman. (Its the whole "knight in shining armor" thing with a man on one knee proposing to the woman of his dreams) ;-)

7. alvairs profile image61
    alvairsposted 5 years ago

Absolutely, i think it is proper if both of you are in love and share the same aspirations and dreams for a future together.

8. royalblkrose profile image60
    royalblkroseposted 5 years ago

depends on the relationship and the people in it.
    tradition demands the man ask as the man is asking to take on the responsibility for the woman's life. (until the last 200 or so years, a woman's livelihood depended mainly on either what her father could provide or what her husband could provide, women as independent business owners and the like were the exception,not the rule)
    Having said that.... if the couple in question are secure enough to handle the woman being outspoken enough to ask the man... go for it...

9. iefox5 profile image57
    iefox5posted 5 years ago

Of course she can. You don't have to follow the tradition.

10. profile image0
    vonda g nelsonposted 5 years ago

Of course why not, a woman will ask the man that she is with for anything so why not his hand in marriage.  I find it dumb to find someone that you have an interest in and instead of letting it be known you roam around playing silly games and sending messages as though it were the stone age and believing whomever you have an interest in is so bored they will just sitting around twiddling their thumbs trying interpret what you're "sending" or saying.  Oh Boy!  Communication goes both ways and makes you privy to much, whether you want to deal with it or not.  I would rather know where the person of my interest stands so that I can move in the direction I want to go than be "literally!!!" standing still.

working