What do you think of parents who financially support their HIGHLY INTELLIGENT, E

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 8 months ago

What do you think of parents who financially support their HIGHLY INTELLIGENT, EDUCATED &

ABLE-BODIED adult children from the late 20s-middle 30s?

This is not fantastical.  I know some cases.  There was a woman where I had my first job who supported her 30-ish son who had a Ph.D. in psychology.  He didn't get his first job until he was 39.   Another case was a mother whose late 20-ish daughter had TWO Masters Degrees but refuse to work unless it was in a job commensurate w/her education. Both parents were working class. 

P.S. I can see supporting RECENT college graduates in their early 20s until they find something that is commensurate w/their education. 

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13148133_f260.jpg

2. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 8 months ago

I don't agree with this extreme level of support unless the family has enough money to last for several generations. Even then I would require adult children to do volunteer work for at least 25-30 hours a week in a hospital, food bank, homeless shelter, or women's shelter. There must be some contribution and learning about life, about others and about themselves. There must be an appreciation of the things, opportunities, and experiences that they have.

The unfortunate scenarios you describe simply allow adults to acquire an entitlement mindset while they are in reality nothing but a failure to launch. Easily preventable with proper planning and guidance but as we so often see there is very little proper parenting going on in many families.

3. Travis Kaoulla profile image83
    Travis Kaoullaposted 8 months ago

The boomer generation, my parents' generation, raised us to do what we love; they didn't raise us to be practical.

working