jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can you report families to the state to have kids put in foster care for negativ

  1. barbergirl28 profile image77
    barbergirl28posted 7 years ago

    Can you report families to the state to have kids put in foster care for negative situations?

    I know a family where both parents are fighting hard... won't get into too many details. Yet, I feel that one parent is being withheld from the children and the other parent is bad mouthing the other parent to the children. I feel it is a negative situation for those kids and they shouldn't be with either parent. Is there anything a person can do to get those children out of that situation? I think they would be better off in Foster Care until the parents can get their heads on straight.

  2. N.E. Wright profile image80
    N.E. Wrightposted 7 years ago

    Yes you can report them and give your opinion on how you believe both parents are harmful in their own way to their children.

    A pair of workers will come out and check the home, and ask questions.  If they are not happy with the situation they will take the children.

    Some of the children may be split up if there is not enough room in the homes. 

    Though I am a foster parent there are some bad foster parents so all of it is still a gamble.  They may ask if you are willing to take the children. Be prepared for that question.

    They also may investigate the parents, and may have them take parenting classes.  Each state does things differently.

    Just be careful, and inform the person you are reporting to that you do not want to be named.  They do not always listen to that.

    I hope this is helpful.


  3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image99
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

    Yes, but you'd best be very, VERY careful about such things; you never can or will know what sort of outcome or changes that YOU could cause to a family or a child by getting involved, or worse, calling the effing police or cps.

    . . . .but if you think someone is being abused and do nothing, that's even worse.

  4. barbergirl28 profile image77
    barbergirl28posted 7 years ago

    I think I have decided to keep my nose out of the situation in the end... the main reason... because I don't believe those kids are better off with either parent. They both have their issues. But, I don't want to have karma come back and bite me because someone doesn't think I am a good enough parent either. Better to just mind my own business... I guess!

  5. profile image48
    sexymashposted 7 years ago

    hi i just want to say that it is your obligation to let the childrens aid or services know about this situation.they do not remove children from there homes much anymore but they help parents to seek councilling or help by giving the family a membership to the ymca where the family can go swimming together or do fitness or even go bowling together. they will also assess the kids to see if they are emotionally scared by all this, please help by making the call as i was a very abused child and nobody helped me when i was young. i was sexed by my foster uncle and also two brothers who came to stay at my foster home. so i really mean it..do something...

  6. kmharper profile image59
    kmharperposted 6 years ago

    I think you made the right decision. Unless there is actual abuse taking place, I'd think long and hard about turning someone in and potentially having their children removed from their home based on what you've said.

    I am a foster parent, and I know firsthand that it is hard to undo the damage done to children removed from everyone they know and love. In fact, the damage is not something that can be undone, it can only be eased. It leaves a permanent scar, even at very young ages.

    That said, it is unfortunately a necessary evil sometimes, which is why my wife and I are foster and adoptive parents.

  7. sharing the sky profile image66
    sharing the skyposted 6 years ago

    Anyone can discreetly report a very concerning situation involving the circumstances of children to their local Child Protective Services (CPS or in some places, Child Welfare Services) agency. Once a report is made, the agency will look into the facts and details and go from there.

    It's definitely a discretionary decision and as others have stated, there are various things to consider. However, it's also important to note that children do not have the ability to truly advocate for themselves nor understand the complexity or danger of difficult family situations.

    In my opinion, it is better to report significant causes for concern and let CPS handle the rest, than to not. It is also my opinion (and some experience) that a report to CPS does not automatically denote removal of children from the home. There are many factors to consider including what is best for the child(ren) and in some cases, it may just be that a child's parents must attend parenting classes or whichever interventions are deemed necessary. It very much depends on the situation. If anything, one can call their local CPS office and speak with someone regarding their concerns.

    *On a closing note, there are people that are obligated to report ("mandated reporters") and include teachers, doctors, dentists, nurses, police officers, and so forth and so on. State websites typically provide this specific information.

  8. danajconnelly profile image70
    danajconnellyposted 5 years ago

    Any person can make an anonymous report to their state child protective agency. Anyone licensed to work with children is a mandated reporter, obligated to make that call whenever a concern is present. A child would not be removed from a home unless a representative makes a formal, on-site visit and deems the situation dangerous. I say, if you're inclined to call, make that call.