- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
5-Ingredient Simple Swiss Roll Cake Recipe
Looking for a cake recipe that is tasty, easy to make and low calorie? I would like to share with everyone one of my favorite cake roll (swiss roll / roulade) recipes today. It only requires 5 ingredients at maximum and is very simple to make.
This recipe takes about 30 minutes to make. (not including the time required to cool the cake)
Ingredients List (Serves 8)
125g (4 oz)
125g (4 oz)
Nutella / Peanut Butter / Jam
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Tin (33 x 23 cm or 13 x 9 inch est.)
- Baking Paper
- Hand / Stand Mixer
Recommended Swiss Roll Food Processor
- Preheat your oven to 220 Degrees Celsius or 425 Degrees Fahrenheit, Gas Mark 7
- Lightly grease your baking tin.
- Line baking tin with baking paper. Use enough paper such that they come out to about 1 cm or 1/2 inch above all sides of the tin.
- Lightly grease your baking paper.
- Fill a saucepan of hot water and place a large bowl above it. Break your eggs and mix your sugar in this large bowl. Recommended for you to use an electric mixer. You want to mix until the point where the mix becomes pale yellow and thick. The mixture should be able to fall from you spoon like ribbons.
- Sieve your floor into the mixture and gently fold it in with the measured hot water. (Have included a video to show you how its done)
- Pour the batter into your baking tin and bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
Preparations to Roll your cake
- Place a sheet of baking paper that is approximately 3cm or 1inch larger on all four corners than the baking tin on a clean damp towel.
- Once cake is cooked after 8 minutes, turn out the cake immediately (face down) onto the prepared sheet in the previous step.
- Carefully peel off the hot lining paper.
- Roll the cake up tightly with the baking paper inside.
- Wrap the towel outside and let the cake cool.
- Once the cake has cooled, unroll the cake carefully and remove the baking paper.
- At this stage, I like to spread a layer of my favorite jams - nutella, peanut butter, strawberry jam, marmalade etc on the exposed cake (the side that you just peeled off the hot lining paper)
- Roll the cake up again carefully and trim the ends. You may wish to dust with icing sugar or just leave it as it is.
It really is not that difficult to make your own cake roll, my first attempt failed only because I did not beat the egg enough and the cake went flat. Hence I've put up links where you can have a better understanding of the specific steps that will make your cake successful.
Also, I try to cut down on sugar and fat as much as possible hence in most of my recipes, you see a condensed list of ingredients - I remove them whenever I feel that it would not compromise flavor.
Alright, with that, I am ending this entry with my favorite video tutorial on how to roll your cake rolls. Hope you enjoyed the recipe!