Baked Bread Rolls Indian Recipe.
Bread rolls is one of the favourite snack of North Indians. It is originally a recipe from the Punjab but now it is made all over the world. Problem with the Bread rolls is that they are very unhealthy because they are deep fried. Bread rolls are easy to make and very crispy and tasty but unfortunately the bread soak up lots of oil. To take care of that problem I came up with the idea of using as little oil as possible. I do agree that baked bread rolls are no match for the fried bread rolls in taste but these taste superb too and they had their own unique taste. The bread rolls taste best with coriander / cilantro chutney but if you don’t have cilantro chutney then you can use tomato ketchup too. Children are very fond of bread rolls because of its unique taste which not only is liked by adults but by children too.
Makes 10 rolls
1. Potatoes: 500 grams / 18 Oz.
2. Shelled Peas: 150 grams / 5 Oz.
3. Onion: 1 Red finely chopped.
4. White Bread Slices: 10.
5. Green Chillies: 2 deseeded and finely chopped.
6. Ginger Fresh: 2 inch piece grated.
7. Olive oil / Sunflower Oil: 4 Tbsp.
8. Red Chilli Powder: 1 Tsp.
9. Amchoor Powder ( Dried Mango Powder): 1 Tsp.
10. Garam Masala: ½ Tsp.
11. Chaat masala: 1 Tsp.
12. Cliantro / coriander leaves fresh: 4 twigs finely chopped.
13. Salt: To Taste.
14. Water: 1 Litre.
Preparation for the filling
1. Boil the potatoes, peel them and mash them.
2. Keep aside
3. Now take a heavy base pan and heat 1 Tbsp of oil on high.
4. When oil is heated add finely chopped onions, finely chopped green chillies and grated ginger.
5. Turn heat on medium and cook till onions are golden brown,
6. Now add green peas and cook for another couple of minutes.
7. Now to this mixture add red chilli powder, garam masala, amchoor, chaat masala and salt.
8. Mix well with pea mixture so they are evenly mixed.
9. Heat on medium till peas are tender.
10. Add mashed potatoes.
11. Mix well so all ingredients mix well with potatoes.
12. Cook for another couple of minutes and take off from the heat.
13. Set aside and let it cool for half an hour.
14. Now divide this potato mixture in to 10 equal portions.
1. Take an oven / electric tandoor.
2. Cover the trey of the oven with aluminium foil.
3. Grease the foil with 1 ½ Tbsp of oil.
4. Preheat the oven on high for 5 minutes.
5. While the oven is being heated, take the water in a pan and warm it little.
6. Now put a slice of bread in this lukewarm water and immediately take it out.
7. Gently squeeze the water from the bread keeping in mind that bread maintains its shape after squeezing.
8. Now in the centre of slice put one portion of the potato mixture. (See picture).
9. Now wrap the bread ends around the potato mixture in such a way that potato mixture is covered with bread from all side and bread takes shape of a roll (see Picture).
10. Make 10 such rolls.
11. Now place 5 rolls on the trey of the preheated oven / electric tandoor.
12. Let it bake for 8 to 10 minutes, turning at midpoint ie about after 4 to 5 minutes.
13. Drizzle little oil around the rolls if needed.
14. When roll become golden brown, take them out.
15. Serve hot with coriander / cilantro chutney and tomato ketchup.
1. Always use heavy base pan.
2. If you need less rolls then use 250 grams / 9 oz of potatoes.
3. If coriander chutney is not available then they taste good with ketch up only too.
4. Preferred drink with these is hot tea but you can serve it with Coke or Pepsi too.
Vegetarian Cooking Hubs From me
- Palak Aloo
Potatoes with spiced spinach commonly known as aloo palak in India are a very tasty and healthy dish. It has got unique aroma of its own. Spinach as we all know is full of Iron and other minerals required by the body. Spinach has been made famous for
- Vegetable Curry With Tofu
Tofu is a kind of cheese made from Soybean. Since soybean is the richest source of proteins so it is very healthy. This dish has lots of vegetables and tofu so it is definitely very healthy as it is rich in proteins but very low on fats and literally
- Mattar Paneer
Mattar ( peas) paneer ( Indian cottage cheese) is a very tasty 100% vegetarian dish. Since most of Indians are strictly vegetarian and do not even eat eggs, so they have developed their own recipes for vegetables and this one is one of the tastiest o
- Mushroom Bhajji
My personal favourite in vegetables is mushroom. Mushrooms are not only easy to digest but are very healthy. Here I am going to put one easy recipe of mushroom. Mushroom is easy to get and it got nice colour and texture and makes a very appealing dis
- Bombay Potaoes
This is a very simple potato recipe. It is used all over India and is basically a side dish but can be used as main dish too. It is very easy to make and makes any food very tasty. People carry this dish during travelling and eat it with puri and man