White Bean Soup Recipe
Some of the Ingredients for White Bean Soup
Soup is a staple item at our house and most of the soups I create are made with different beans. There is almost always soup in the fridge and soup in the freezer every season of the year. Making soup is not only very economical, delicious but generally offers many healthy benefits. When I am at the store I always stock up on different beans and lentils to have on hand when the soup attack hits. While I am making bean soups I cook up extra beans and freeze them for dips and salads at a later date. This saves time and money to do this.
Lunch around here means soup. If I am out and my husband is home there is always lunch ready in minutes. I try to add different veggies and seasonings each time I create a new soup, though we do have our favorites. I have just discovered baby kale and I cannot resist putting it in most of the soups I cook. Unlike older kale. It cooks fast and is tender and sweet. Beans do take a few hours to cook so that is my inspiration for making a lot at a time.
Ingredients for Bean Soup
- 12 cups White Northern Beans
- 1.5 Gallons Water
- 1 can 14-16 oz Tomato sauce
- 2 large Onions
- 2 Cups Celery, Chopped
- 2 Cups Carrots, Chopped or whole small ones
- 3 Cups Baby Kale
- Asparagus, Cut in small pieces
- 3 Tablespoons Turmeric
- 4 Tablespoons Dry Oregano
- 4 Tablespoons Tarragon
- 1 Tablespoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Cup Sesame Oil
- 2 Lemons
Instructions for white Bean Soup
- Rinse the beans and strain through a colander. Look for any unwanted stones or other items.
- Add the beans to the water with a tablespoon of salt.
- Let the beans reach boiling point and turn down to medium.
- Check the beans occasionally for doneness.
- When the beans are starting to get tender you can add the veggies.
- Add the onions and garlic to the soup mixture and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and kale to the soup.
- Add all the seasonings and spices. Taste often to see if you want to add more of a particular seasoning.
- Add the sesame oil and lemon juice and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Serve the soup with sourdough bread or whole grain crackers.
- Allow the bean soup to cool before putting it in containers for the fridge and freezer.
White Bean Soup
Other Suggestions for the Bean Soup
- Try different spices such as basil, thyme, cumin, ginger and even a little cinnamon.
- Add left over chicken, beef or pork to the soup.
- Try other vegetables such as zucchini, chayote, yellowneck squash, green onions, cabbage, spinach, greenbeans
- Try adding some brown rice to the soup.
Make Soup Tonight
Other Healthful Soup Recipes by Carol7777
- Easy Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe
Make this delicious easy homemade chicken soup for your entire family. Enjoy this one dish dinner and make some extra for another meal.
- Soup Recipes: Butternut Squash and Kale Soup
Nothing is better than warm soup on a cold day. This soups has more than your daily vegetable requirement for the day. It is suitable for a Vegan diet.
- The Best French Onion Soup Recipe: Thick and Delicious
Nothing better than a bowl of onion soup in hot or cold weather. The soup is easy to make and keeps for at least three days in the fridge. You will love this recipe for French onion soup.