- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
The Best French Onion Soup Recipe: Thick and Delicious
Use Yellow Onions for Onion Soup
Make the Best French Onion Soup Recipe
I often enjoy writing and sharing recipes as it is a break from focusing on more complicated hubs I am thinking about writing. I am in the middle of two hubs that I cannot get a handle on, so I thought of onion soup. This recipe is a combination of one from The Pied De Couchon, a restaurant in Paris which is no longer there, and some of my own touches.
Many years ago I read about this famous restaurant in the major market place in Paris where many of the artists gathered after midnight to enjoy onion soup. After living in France for a few years we finally got a chance to try the soup--though it was not after midnight, but during the day. Believe it or not we got there on the last day the restaurant was open for business. I found the soup to be disappointing in the taste and amazed at how few onions it contained, I personally felt that that time it needed a lot of improvement so I added more onions, seasonings and a little of this and that to my liking.
Ingredients for the Soup
- 6 to 8 Cups Yellow onions
- 2 Quarts Water
- 2 Quarts Chicken Stock
- One Cup White Wine
- 4 Pieces Bacon
- One-half Cup Fresh parsley
- Three Garlic Cloves
- Two Tablespoons each Thyme, Tarragon, Oregano
- One to two pounds Thinly sliced Mozzarella cheese
- One-half Cup Brandy, (Optional)
- Parmesan Cheese, (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crockery oven proof bowls
White Wine for the Soup
Serve Bread Separately
Instructions for Onion Soup
1. Slice all onions very thin.
2. Put the chicken stock and water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
3. Brown bacon, parsley and garlic in a separate pot and add to the liquid mixture along with the drippings. The bacon will be partially done. at this time.
4. Add onions and seasonings to the liquid mixture and cook for about one and three quarter hours.
5. Add one cup of white wine and cook for fifteen minutes longer.
6. Add one-cup of Brandy (optional) and cook for an additional fifteen minutes.
7. Slice the Mozzarella cheese to have ready for the final presentation.
8. Remove the bacon from the soup mixture.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Put in small crockery bowls.
11.. Put the bowls of soup under the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Best French Onion Soup Recipe Additions
Pour soup into bowls add one or two slices of mozzarella cheese or more over each bowl. I personally like a lot of this cheese on the soup. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the mozzarella cheese for extra taste. Serve the crusty french bread on the side. I make it this way because I don't like soggy bread. You will agree that this is the best French onion soup recipe ever.
Delicious Onion Soup
Enjoy Onion Soup
Other Soup Recipes
- Soup Recipes-Make Ramen Soup Healthful
You can be very versatile with different Ramen soup recipes. Add vegetables and even leftovers to give flavor and added healthy selections.
- Easy Vegetarian Soup Recipes Made From Scratch
This is a delicious and quick cooking vegetarian soup. When you make your own soup from scratch you know exactly what ingredients are in the soup.
- Easy Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe
Make this delicious easy homemade chicken soup for your entire family. Enjoy this one dish dinner and make some extra for another meal.
- Soup Recipes: Butternut Squash and Kale Soup
Nothing is better than warm soup on a cold day. This soups has more than your daily vegetable requirement for the day. It is suitable for a Vegan diet.