Butternut Squash and Kale Soup Recipe
Soup is On
Soup Recipes using Butternut Squash and Kale
Soup recipes come out of the recipe box during the cold months of winter. Actually there is no recipe box as I make up the soup as I go along, and often use what I have on hand. However for HubPage recipes I do write the amount of ingredients for all recipes. Soup makes the best and healthiest lunches and lite dinners. I am generally very busy during the day and don't like to stop and think about what to fix for lunch. We always have a container of soup in the fridge and the freezer.
Once a week I gather my soup ingredients and make enough soup to last for the week. Most of my soups contain lots of vegetables, beans and occasionally chicken or beef, but they are mostly vegetarian. I always feel self-righteous serving a healthy bowl of soup for my husband and myself. So I give myself a hearty pat on the back. This soup contains a lot of ingredients and several steps, but it goes together easily and only has to cook for a short period of time. It is worth the fuss. I have been wanting to use butternut squash in soup and thought by adding some kale and other greens it would be super healthful. Another good quality about soup is that it is often inexpensive to make. Hope you like it.
Chop the Onions and Garlic
Chop CIlantro and Baby Kale
Add smoky paprika to the onions and garlic
Add the chopped celery
Sauté the Vegetables
The Soup is on its way
- 3 Cups Butternut squash, Peeled and cubed
- 4 Cups Baby Organic Kale
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, Chopped
- 1 Cup Celery, Chopped
- 1 Cup Cilantro, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh ginger, Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Cumin
- 2 Tablespoons Curry
- 2 Tablespoons Tarragon
- 2 Tablespoons Black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Smoky Paprika
- 1 Gallon Half water and vegetable stock
Instructions for the Soup
- Chop the onions and garlic in small pieces.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the grapeseed oil
- Add the squash cubes to the onions and garlic,and cook until tender.
- Start the water and vegetable stock for the soup. Allow to reach a boil and lower the heat.
- Add the kale to the water. Cook on a medium heat
- Pour the onions, garlic and squash mixture to the soup.
- Add the chopped celery to the soup mix.
- With a slotted spoon remove the squash cubes from the soup mix.
- Blend one half of the squash in the blender and add back to the soup.
- Blend the rest of the squash in the blender and add back to the soup.
- Add one small can of tomato paste to the water.
- Add the cilantro and all the spices to the soup. Stir the tomato paste until well blended.
- Continue cooking for about 45 minutes on a low heat.
- Add salt and pepper to your taste.
Healthy Soup Recipes by Carol7777
- Easy Vegetarian Soup Recipes Made From Scratch
This is a delicious and quick cooking vegetarian soup. When you make your own soup from scratch you know exactly what ingredients are in the soup.
- Easy Curry Red Lentil, Rice Soup Recipe-In 40 Minutes
Try this fast, easy and healthy lentil and rice soup. The soup is tasty and cheap to make. You can enjoy it for lunch or dinner.
- Easy Recipe for Homemade Chicken Soup
Make this delicious easy homemade chicken soup for your entire family. Enjoy this one dish dinner and make some extra for another meal.
- Soup Recipes-Make Ramen Soup Healthful
You can be very versatile with different Ramen soup recipes. Add vegetables and even leftovers to give flavor and added healthy selections.
Butternut Squash and Kale Soup
Puree the squash in the blender
If you are making this soup for dinner include a salad with tomatoes and avocados and you are covering a huge nutritional scope.
You can substitute or add other vegetables such as fresh tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, turnips , parsnips, fresh parsley, leeks, broccoli and cabbage. I always enjoy trying different veggies in soup even the ones that are not usually included in a soup recipe.
Add different spices for creating a new flavor. Add oregano, basil, thyme. If you like your soup hot add extra cayenne pepper to get your eyes to water a little.