- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Beef Sirloin a La Esterhazy
Rostbraten and Biscuits
Beef Sirloin German Dish
A traditional German recipe also known as Esterhazy Rostbraten. This recipe calls for sirloin to be medium rare on the inside. My preference is to make sure it is fully cooked. No meat will be mooing back at me. If you are like me, cook the sirloin until thoroughly cooked.
4 cups water
10 white peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1 yellow (2 cups) peeled rutabaga
1 1/2 medium peeled carrots
1 medium celery root
1 cup butter for sautéing
8 oz sliced sirloin
1 medium white peeled and finely chopped onion
1/3 cup brandy
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup brown beef stock
1 juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon butter
Note: For a non-alcoholic dish, substitute the brandy with Raspberry extract, white grape juice or apple juice.
1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
2. Add the peppercorns and bay leaf.
3. Cut the rutabaga, carrots, and celery root into long thin strips into thin strips.
4. Blanch the rutabaga, carrot, and celery root, separately and briefly. Place the vegetables in ice water and set aside.
5. Reserve the vegetable stock resulting from the blanching and reduce to 1/3 cup.
6. Remove the bay leaf and peppercorns.
7. Heat 2/3 cup butter in a skillet and sauté the sirloin over medium-high heat until brown outside and medium-rare inside. Keep warm on a covered plate.
8. Degrease the pan. Then next heat 1/3 cup of the butter and sauté the chopped onion over medium heat until lightly golden in color.
9. Add the brandy and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
10. Add the vegetable stock. Cook 4 to 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
11. Next add the heavy cream, lower the heat to medium, and reduce by half.
12. Add the beef stock and once more reduce by half.
13. Add the lime juice and any meat juice left over from the covered plate. Drain the vegetables and stir them into the sauce.
14. Swirl in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.
15. Place the meat on plates, topped with the sauce.
The sirloin may be garnished with a dab of sour cream. 6 Servings
The copyright to this article is owned by Sandy Mertens (sandyspider). Permission to republish this article in print or online must be granted by the author in writing. (You can, however, freely use the opening introduction and photo with a link to the article here on HubPages to read the remainder of the article.)
Some Hub Recipes
- Black Forest Coffee Recipe and More
Remember the day when you ordered a cup of coffee and that is just what it was. Fresh ground brewed coffee or if you werent so lucky, instant coffee. Not that the taste of instant coffee is bad, but it...
- Chinese Chicken Breast with Garlic
Ingredients for chicken: 4 boneless, skinned chicken breast halves 1 Tablespoon cornstarch 1 Tablespoon white grape juice 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion 1/2 thinly sliced green or red pepper 1 egg...
- Cheddar and Ham Cheesecake
Often when you think of cheesecake, you think of dessert. There is nothing better than a creamy smooth rich Cherry Cheesecake. But what you might not know is cheesecake can be for breakfast too. OK, I...
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
Ingredients: 6 large bell peppers (green, red or yellow) 1 lb ground beef 1 small onion, finely diced 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon oregano 1/2 teaspoon sage 1/2...
- Chicken Teriyaki
If you are into Japanese food, then this is a great tasting and easy to make recipe that your family will enjoy. It serves a family of four. I have had this recipe for years. The serving sizes are a little...
- Bean and Onion Salad with Health Benefits
Ingredients: 1/4 cup apple juice 1/2 medium size onion, chopped 1 red onion, sliced 2 medium size carrots, chopped 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/3 cup vinegar 1/2 cup water 1 T sugar ...
- Georgian Cheese Pastries
Ingredients for Pastry: 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup plus 2 T unsalted, not melted butter 1/4 cup cold water Ingredients for Cheese...
- German Bavarian Herb Soup
This is a German recipe. Bitter herbs are traditionally eaten at Easter in Christian countries as a sign of penitence. The German tradition is to serve Bavarian soup on Easter Thursday, known as Maundy...
- Potato Casseroles
I love to cook. I am one of those cooks who often create her own recipe without even writing it down. This irritates people who would like a copy of one of my homemade recipes. Then I have to think the...
What the Beef?
Meat, Seafood and Dessert
- Sunshine Cheesecake
Cheese puts me in pure ecstasy. The days of the plain old cheesecake are gone. My favorite is cherry cheesecake. However, I like to try different recipes. Cheesec...
- BBQ Recipes for Your Grill
Summertime is the time for picnics and just cooking out in the backyard. Many people will grill hot dogs, hamburgers, brats, chicken, pork chops, steak,and fish.Today, I will share with you a couple of barbecue recipes that are easy to make and so de
- Someone Say Shrimp?
Taste the succulent and delightful goodness of shrimp. These small crustaceans can be served hot or cold. They are one of the most popular appetizers in the United States. Raw shrimp is low in calories and saturated fat. Shrimp are an excellent sourc
- Recipes From Around The World
You don't have to travel the world to get a taste of international cuisine. With Recipes From Around The World, you can open your mind and treat your taste buds to a world of fine cuisine-without leaving home! 1000 recipes.
Recipes From Around the World
Bring the exotic tastes of other countries into your home with Recipes from around the World.
You don't have to travel the world to get a taste of international cuisine. With “Recipes From Around The World”, you can open your mind and treat your taste buds to a world of fine cuisine-without leaving home!
Two large ebooks with over 500 tasty recipes just in volume one, include countries like Germany, Greece, Ireland, France and Russia. Tasty recipes like, Galantine Of Chicken from France, Greek Stifado With Feta Cheese Crust, Esterhazy Rostbraten (Beef Sirloin A La Esterhazy) from Germany, Real Irish Stew and Basturma (Georgian Pomegranate Marinated Grilled Lamb) from Russia.
Find many healthy and tasty bean recipes in this collection of mouth watering recipe ebooks. Read more on Recipes From Around The World