- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Healthy yogurt okra ( Dahi Bhindi)
Okra in yogurt sauce ( dahi bhindi)
Health benefits of Okra
Okra in yogurt sauce or Dahi Bhindi ( called in India) is a low calorie food. It is very easy to make and is very healthy. For people like me who love eating yogurt, this dish Okra is a good source of dietary fiber, protein, zinc, iron, folic acid, manganese and calcium and is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, Vitamin E and Vitamin K. Okra is useful for those who want to lose weight and also for pregnant ladies because of its nutritional properties. People suffering from constipation should include okra in their diet as it is helps in reducing constipation. It also helps in maintaining the cholesterol and blood sugar level.
- Preparation time 10 minutes
- Cooking time 15 - 20 minutes
- Serves 4 people
- Okra 1 lb. Wash and let the okra be dry. Cut it in medium pieces then.
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- dry red chili 1 ( optional)
- Chili as per taste
- Chili powder as per taste ( optional)
- Salt as per taste
- oil 2 -3 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Yogurt 4 tsp ( you can increase or decrease the quantity of yogurt as per your choice, if you want more curry, add more yogurt or vice- versa. )
- Onion ( optional) 1 chopped in small pieces
- Chick pea flour 2 tsp (optional)
- Curry leaves ( optional) 2- 3 leaves
- Coriander/ Cilantro for garnishing chopped in small pieces.
This dish can be cooked using a few ingredients. However if you want to add more spice and curry you can include many other items. When I cook this dish, I do not use onions or chick pea powder . Onion is used in almost all my recipes and the absence of onion in this dish somehow makes it different. ( not to mention the cutting of onion and watering of eyes! )
- Heat oil ( 1-2 tsp) in a pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add the okra pieces and fry them for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame after 10 minutes and transfer the okra pieces to a bowl.
- In case you do not want to fry the okra pieces, you can even steam them. I usually follow this method as it consumes less oil. Make sure it does not get sticky or slimy.
- In a pan heat oil.
- Once the oil gets hot, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and dry red chili.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add onion pieces and fry till they are golden brown.
- Add the turmeric powder and green chili and mix well.
- Add the curry leaves.
- In a bowl mix yogurt, red chili powder and chick pea flour.
- Pour this mixture in the pan and mix well.
- Make sure that this mixture does not get thick.
- Add the steamed/ fried of pieces of okra in the pan and mix.
- Keep stirring the mixture so that the okra or yogurt does not stick to the botto of pan.
- Add a little water if the mixture gets thicken.
- Cook for 5 - 6 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with bread, naan or Indian bread ( roti).
- Spicy, tasty Shrimp biryani or prawn biryani
Tasty Shrimp biryani
- Weekend special- spicy tasty mutton/ lamb curry
spicy lamb curry
- Coconut Chutney
Easy coconut chutney which is simple, quick and healthy. To be used a side dish.
- Sambhar Recipe
Sambhar is a famous South Indian dish. It is known as the most spiciest lentil soup. You can add any choice of vegetables in it and because of this factor, it is considered very healthy. Serves 2 Preparation time 15 - 20 minutes Cooking time 15...
- Easy,delicious and healthy Halva recipes-nutrient an...
US is a home away from home. As much as we love celebrating our Indian festivals here, we get the same pleasure when we celebrate the festivals those in US…Come October and my house gets busy gearing itself for the upcoming fests…my husband...
- Illish maach bengali style ( milk fish recipe)
Easy illish maach in mustard gravy
- different types of tasty and healthy rice recipes
Learn how to cook rice in different ways,easy and tasty recipes not to forget the nutritional value.
- Veggie rice quinoa baby food recipe ( khichdi recipe...
A healthy and nutritious food for toddlers. Mixed with the goodness of quinoa, kale , sweet potato and rice. Rich source of protein, iron and omega 3.