Easy Eggplant Recipe
Ready for the Oven
Baked Eggplant Casserole Recipe
If you love eggplant try this very special easy eggplant casserole recipe.There are many versions of this recipe and many ways to be creative, and I am guilty of modifying and making changes with all recipes, according to what ingredients I happen to have on hand.
I love to make this dish because both my husband and I love eggplant. I personally do not bread the eggplant though most eggplant recipes call for breading. For those who love the eggplant breaded, it will work just fine for this recipe. I usually make this eggplant Parmesan casserole when I can find eggplant on sale. in the grocery store. This a great company dish that you can make the day before, and it improves with taste each day. Be sure to ask your guests ahead of time if they like eggplant. Eggplant is one of those vegetables that you either love or dislike. You could substitute zucchini for eggplant in this recipe and have excellent results. If you are an adventurous cook you could substitute a variety of different veggies, spices and sauces for this easy and economical casserole.
Brown the eggplant for a few minutes
- 2 Medium Eggplants, Sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- One Large Can (16 oz) Tomato Sauce
- Two Tomatoes, Chopped
- One Pound Mozzarella cheese, grated
- One-half Cup Olive Oil
- One Cup Cottage cheese
- One cup Parmesan cheese, Fresh or dried
- Two tablespoon Oregano
- Two tablespoons Basil
- Three large Garlic cloves, Chopped finely
- Two tablespoons Wine vinegar
- One tablespoon Thyme
- One-half cup Grated onion, Optional
- Garlic powder
- Salt for eggplant
- Salt and pepper to taste
Add the Cottage Cheese
All ready for the oven before adding the cheese
Add lots of Spices
- Score the eggplant slices with a knife. Pour salt over sliced eggplant on both sides. Leave the eggplant out all night to dry out.
- In a large frying pan add olive oil and brown the eggplant slices for approximately two minutes on each side and remove from the stove. Be sure to preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. while you are browning the eggplant.
- Put the tomato sauce and chopped fresh tomatoes, minced onions, garlic all spices and vinegar in a sauce pan and cook for approximately 30 minutes on the stove. You can do this while browning the eggplant.
- Lay the eggplant on the large pyrex dish and fit the pieces in snuggly. If you have extra pieces put them in the refrigerator for another meal.
- I prefer using cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese, but either will work just fine. Mix the cottage cheese with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Put a layer of the cottage cheese mixture over the eggplant.
- Add a layer of the tomato sauce over the cottage cheese mixture.
- Add a layer of the mozzarella cheese over the cottage cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the top with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 1.5 hours. And this eggplant parmesan casserole recipe is complete.
Make Eggplant Casserole
Some Substitutes You Can Use for eggplant parmesan casserole
Cheese--cheddar, jack cheese, provolone
Vegetables: Zucchini, onions, yellowneck squash, choyote
Sauce: Fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, rotel tomatoes, canned tomatoes
Cheese: low fat cottage cheese, ricotta cheese sour cream, yogurt
Other Healthy Recipes by Carol7777
- Easy Shrimp Recipes
Make a savory shrimp wrap for a great lunch or dinner. These wraps are easy to fix and need just a few ingredients.
- Easy Curried Red Lentil, Rice Soup Recipe-In 40 Minutes
Try this fast, easy and healthy lentil and rice soup. The soup is tasty and cheap to make. You can enjoy it for lunch or dinner.
- Soup Recipes-Make Ramen Soup Healthful
You can be very versatile with different Ramen soup recipes. Add vegetables and even leftovers to give flavor and added healthy selections.
- Make Fried Fish with Parmesan Cheese
Fish is a healthy choice with omega 3 oils and many vitamins and minerals, not to mention low calorie. This recipe for fried fish is easy to make. It is easy to learn now to fry fish.