- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
Prawn and Vegetable Balti Recipe
India has a long coast line. Indian peninsula is surrounded by water on three sides. It is surrounded by Arabian sea, Indian ocean and Bay of Bengal. Also there are countless rivers and thus a huge variety and bounty of sea as well as fresh water fish and other water organisms and animals. It is no wonder than India has variety of fishes and has a special sea food cuisine of its own. Many dishes can only be made in India but most can be made anywhere else in world. All they need to do is change the fish and the cooking time according to the variety of fish they use. In this dish we are using prawns which are not only very tasty but also very healthy to eat. I have written about the health benefits of prawns in other hub calledHealth Benefits of Eating Prawns. This dish can be eaten in lunch or dinner and is very light on the stomach. This dish is ideal for those vegetarians who eat fish ( like many in coastal region of India where they consider fish as vegetarian food)
1. Prawns / Shrimps: 180 grams / 6 oz. frozen and peeled.
2. Frozen Peas: 120 grams / 4 oz
3. Frozen Sweet corn: 120 grams / 4 oz
4. Zucchini: 1 large sliced.
5. Red Bell Pepper: 1 large, deseeds and squared in to ½ inch pieces.
6. Olive oil: 2 Tbsp.
7. Dried Red chilies: Crushed 1 Tsp.
8. Curry leaves: 6
9. Cilantro / Coriander seeds: Crushed 1 Tsp.
10. Salt: To taste.
11. Lemon Juice: 15 ml / 1 Tbsp.
12. Fresh coriander leaves: To garnish.
Method Of Prepration
1. Take the prawn in a bowl.
2. Thaw them and drain excess liquid if any.
3. Take a heavy base pan.
4. Heat oil.
5. Put onion seeds along with curry leaves.
6. Sauté for couple of minutes.
7. Now add Prawns to this mixture.
8. Stir fry for few minutes till all the liquid in the pan has evaporated.
9. Now add peas and sweet corn and stir fry for 1 minute.
10. Add red bell pepper and zucchini.
11. Stir fry for another 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat.
12. Now add Crushed coriander seeds and crushed dry red chilies.
13. Add salt and then lemon juice.
14. Mix well.
15. Garnish with coriander leaves.
16. Serve hot.
1. To crush red chilies or coriander seeds use small marble or steel mortar and pestle.
2. If mortar and pestle is not available then use an electric spice grinder.
3. Use a heavy base pan.
|Serving size: 1 Serving|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More recipes from me
- Egg paranthas
Roti and paranthas are staple food for north Indians. In the northern state of Punjab it is very common to have paranthas in breakfast daily. Even though it is high on calories but is liked by all the north Indians. Paranthas are eaten in breakfast l
- Chicken Biryani Recipe
Biryani is a famous Indian cuisine. Biryani is made from rice and meat and care should be taken to have a long grain basmati rice. The basmati rice belt is in the part of Haryana between Delhi and Chandigarh. The rice which qualifies to be called as
- Kadai Gosht Hussainee Recipe
Gosht is mutton in hindi or urdu. Mutton is usually made from lamb or goat. Mutton is a very popular dish in India among meat eaters. Usually in west the mutton is used for the meat of lamb who is less than one year old and after that it is simply ca
- How To Make Gulkand Gulab Jamun
Indians are very fond of sweets and usually after each meal they look for sweets. Since there is such a hugh demand for sweets in India. Every region of India has specialized food cuisine and every cuisine has lot of delicious sweets. Gulab jamun is
- Pomfret Recheiado
ndia has a huge coast line and 3 side of India is covered by sea. Thus sea food is very popular in west, south and east of India. India has a very big variety of sea food with countless varieties of fishes from very small fish to big game fish and It