- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Quiche with Quinoa Crust: Your Going to Love this Healthy Alternative
I've always considered cooking quiche to be a long and complicated process. About 6 months ago, a friend shared a recipe tip with me that removes the most tedious task (and fattening ingredient), the crust! Now, I know you can create a crustless quiche quite easily, but to me that method feels more like a breakfast food than dinner.
So, what is this secret ingredient? Quinoa (pronounced "keenwa")
- High in protein, magnesium & iron
- Good source of dietary fiber
The quinoa in this recipe will cook up and settle to the bottom of the pan, forming a delicious and nutritious "crust".
- 4-5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup of quinoa, well rinsed & drained
- Your favorite filling, suggestions include:
- sauteed spinach
- steamed & chopped broccoli
- black beans & diced tomatoes
- Your choice of cheese, pick a shredded blend or crumbled selection, suggestions include:
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cook any desired toppings
- Spray pie pan with cooking spray
- Place thin layer of toppings in pan
- Scramble eggs & milk together in medium size bowl
- Add quinoa & cheese to egg mixture & stir with fork
- Pour egg, milk, cheese & quinoa mixture over toppings
- Place in oven for ~30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Cool for 5-10 minutes
- Slice & serve with your choice of side, we often choose garlic roasted mashed potatoes
More Vegetarian Recipes
- Creating the Perfect Stir-Fry Dinner
Creating a stir-fry dinner is a quick and nutritious choice after a long day and the combinations are endlessly delicious. Just choose some vegetables, protein, rice or noodles, sauce, and enjoy!
- Tofu, Veggie & Rice Noodle Soup
A quick and easy, low-calorie, vegetarian soup made with tofu, rice noodles and vegetables.
- Portabello, baby kale, red pepper & swiss sandwich
A delicious and hearty vegetarian sandwich with portabello mushrooms, roasted red peppers, and baby kale sauteed in ginger and garlic topped with melted swiss cheese and placed in a toasted bun spread with whole seed dijon mustard.
- Baked Potato Pizzas: A Healthy Dinner Your Whole Family Will Love
Twice baked potatoes mashed with broccoli, spinach, & carmelized onions, topped with chunky pizza sauce & melted cheese...make a delicious and inexpensive family dinner everyone will love!
- Asian Inspired Tofu, Green Beans & Brown Rice
A healthy & delicious vegetarian dinner that cooks up quick!