jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

Recipe Adjustments?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

What adjustments, if any, need to be made to a "regular" bread recipe to use it in a bread machine instead?
    The recipe booklet that came with my bread machine does not have a recipe for oatmeal bread; I would like to make some.
    However, the only oatmeal bread recipe I have is for  the "old-fashioned method."
    Do I need to make any changes, or can I just shove it straight across into the machine?
    Thanks, folks.

1. Barbara Kay profile image90
      Barbara Kayposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I searched for one and Allrecipes.com has one. Hope this helps.

DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, but the recipe I have makes a scrumptious bread..I wasn't looking for a recipe, just whether or not I needed to shuffle anything around with the quantity of things like sugar or flour to use that recipe in the bread machine.

2. Jamie Brock profile image95
      Jamie Brockposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ya know, that is a good question....Seems to me if the ingredients are all the same ingredients (except the oatmeal) or at least similar type ingredients that you have used in the machine before, I don't see why it wouldn't work.  Would it harm the machine if you gave it a try?  If it were me, I would just go for it and see if it works.   I have never heard of oatmeal bread..it sounds wonderful!

Oatmeal bread takes me back to my childhood, visiting a great-aunt who used to make it.  It is on the sweet side, but is not a sweet bread (i.e. not like banana or pumpkin bread); it has a bit of a nutty flavor, but  very subtle.  I love oatmeal bread, but the commercial varieties are too high in salt for my husband's extreme low-sodium diet, so I wanted to revive this old recipe.
        Thanks for your input.  I think I will give it a try.  I don't see how it could possibly harm the machine; I just thought it was possible it wouldn't rise or bake properly, if the liquid/dry balance might be different.  But, what the heck--"nothing ventured; nothing gained."  (Ack...I hate clichés, I really do!)

1. Jamie Brock profile image95
          Jamie Brockposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean about clichés! Good luck with the oatmeal bread. I'm sure it will be good smile

2. Kristen Haynie profile image94
    Kristen Haynieposted 4 years ago

I use regular recipes in my bread machine quite often. They always turn out just fine! I see no reason why your oatmeal bread recipe wouldn't work in a bread machine. I say just go for it! The only thing you have to lose is the ingredients used if it doesn't turn out. Good luck!

Thanks much, Kristen--I will try it.

1. Cook n Save Money profile image82
        Cook n Save Moneyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

How did yours come out?

I've never had trouble with traditional recipes in my machine, I simply add the wet first, then dry and my yeast on top in the bread machine pan.

1. Kristen Haynie profile image94
          Kristen Haynieposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I do, too.

working