Poem - Magnetic Resource Imagery … by Brenda Arledge

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 5 months ago

Please take the time to read this very interesting poem/article from Brenda about her experiences with having an MRI procedure.

https://discover.hubpages.com/literatur … QxOTg4MzY0

1. Brenda Arledge profile image80
      Brenda Arledgeposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Thanks so much for posting this one.

I tried to descibe what one goes through to get ready to go into an MRI machine.

1. MizBejabbers profile image89
        MizBejabbersposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Brenda, Your experience is different from mine. I've had four or five, and I've noticed a slight difference in my last one from those I had 25 or 30 years ago. The first one was on my head for excruciating migraines, and they didn't tell me to bring a driver. It was in the old Baptist Hospital in North Little Rock, which was built like a maze. I'd been there before, but I was so woozy afterward that I got lost several times before I found my way out. I don't know how I made it home. This was during the time of the earthquake scares, especially dealing with the New Madrid Fault, so I didn't want to be trapped in that thing if we had an earthquake because our area is still in the danger zone. This sounds silly now, but it made me feel claustrophobic, so they gave me a washcloth to put over my face. The last one I had was on my spine after a bus wreck I was in. It felt different. But I've never been put in a helmet regardless of whatever body part they were examining.

Doris,
          It sounds like you had a pretty bad experience.   It has made me a little disoriented, but nothing like yours or for that long.
          As for the earthquakes...i totally understand that one.i hate to get in them if its storming.  I mesn...what if the electric goes off...how am i going to climb out of there.

As for the helmet...its not one that actually goes over your head for the MRI.  That one is like the front of a football helmet...it snaps across your face and ears. Its attached to the table that guides you in to machine.
          I put a similar picture below.

Now when I had gamma knife surgery i did have that heavy metsl helmet screwed to my head with a plastic dome on top of that.

They say they have open ones which aren't claustrophobic, but they're really not much different.   A little bigger opening, but you still can't see much from in there.

It's easy to have a panic attack in them.  It is totally different from any other tests.

https://hubstatic.com/16791988.jpg

2. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 5 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting, John!

Brenda, I empathize with you. Certainly, you have had your fair share. And, being routine more to arrive. A hugg sent!

I have had six  so far. Two for my brain, one my neck, and three for my prostate. Yes, the older style machine sound is horrific.

Two of the prostate ones were newer machines or different tech and not as loud. Still loud, but not that horrendous bam - bam - bam. I listened to progressive rock.

Sorry to hear you've had this lovely experience Tim.

The newer machines help a little, but i think since i get the headphones ...that helps the most.
        I mean...i have earplugs in my ears and cannot hear the girls talking when in the room....yet I hear that clanking noise and feel that jack hammer shake my head.

I hear them w microphone ...but i dont know why it has to be so noisy or last so long.

Hopefully you won't need them anymore.
        As for me...its fine.  Its just a part of my life.

They really like it when Im there patient...cause I know the routine.

2. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 5 months ago

You did well, Brenda. i have never had an MRI, so this was very interesting.

3. surovi99 profile image83
    surovi99posted 5 months ago

I never had an MRI either, and so your experience was interesting to me also. The machine itself is so scary. I am glad you can handle it boldly, and it's gone to once a year now. Wish you all the very best. God bless!

Thank you, John, for sharing Brenda's work.

Thanks Rosina...
      Yeah it's no biggie anymore...its just part of my normal routine.

It usually lasts about 45 minutes to an hour.  Unless you move...then they restart that part.
      There are different sections...like this set of noises will last for 5 minutes, etc..
      It's really nothing to be frightened about.

4. Gianella Labrador profile image85
    Gianella Labradorposted 5 months ago

one who had mri couple of times can memorize the sounds being played like a song on a loop, the longest one i had was a whole spine scan you can't even swallow cause the neck is also part of the scan it lasted like an hour or so that felt like more than 24 hours. patience and ability to distract/entertain yourself is a key to make it through without moving

Gianella...
      Yes, that not moving part is difficult.

Every time im in one...it seems like my eye waters and drips down my cheek....or my nose itches.

I deal with that quickly in between each section of noises.

1. Gianella Labrador profile image85
        Gianella Labradorposted 5 months agoin reply to this

one time I've witnessed at the hospital an elderly inside the mri, and they were having trouble because the patient kept moving throughout the entire process its like also the patient was getting impatient, sleepy, and was not responding/cooperating well, felt bad for both sides

I know it's difficult for the one overseeing these tests....there are times when my appointment gets pushed back.

I used to be able to just dress accordingly...like in sweats...but now they make you change into hospital gowns.

It seems that many of these clothes designed to keep people cooler...actually catch on fire or melt in the MRI.

5. Venkatachari M profile image82
    Venkatachari Mposted 5 months ago

It is really a bit stressful moment if you are not confident of yourself. I had it in the year 2018 once and again a similar experience while having my angiogram test the same year. I kept myself calm chanting God's name. But, Brenda, you are so brave enough to go through so many rounds of that.

And, thank you John for sharing this article.

Thank you Venkatachari.
      It is a mindset.  Trust me...my mind has thoughts just like yours when I'm in there. I do ask God to be with me and then I think about happy moments.
      Here recently they do play music...but to be honest...even that gets drowned out when the noises get too loud.

My mother is scared to death of having one...she won't.
      It's a bit claustrophobic...even the one's they say are "open MRI'S" are still that way...

Take care.  Hopefully you won't have to have anymore...or they finally find an easier way.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 5 months ago

Hello Brenda,
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with MRI, in the well composed poem.
    I am sorry to know that it’s a routine for you. I find it scary and stressful. You are strong, I know. But, that doesn’t mean that one should suffer.
    Thank you for sharing this and also enlightening others.
    Thank you John.

Thanks Chitrangada...
      I'm fine.  I'm not suffering.

It's simply a test I must take to keep monitoring it.

It used to be scary, but not too much anymore.  Unless it's thundering and lightning outside...then I don't like it too much.

Take care and have a great week.

7. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 5 months ago

Thanks John for sharing Brenda's MRI story with us.  I am glad that thus far I have had no need for one.  It does not sound like a fun experience.  Glad you only have to have one once a year now, Brenda.

Peggy...
      I'm glad you've never had to have one....let's keep it that way.

As for me...I'm used to them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)