jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (15 posts)

How do you eat kiwi?

1. Katelyn Weel profile image88
    Katelyn Weelposted 8 years ago

How do you eat kiwi?

Just curious to know the different ways people eat a hairy fruit. Personally I just bite into it like an apple, who else does that? Does anyone peel them? If so, how do you do that without mushing it or taking off half the fruit with the skin? Love to hear the answers... thanks

2. jobister profile image59
    jobisterposted 8 years ago

I peel the kiwi first, then slice it horizontally and then into my tummy.

3. The_Boss profile image65
    The_Bossposted 8 years ago

Typically, I take a knife and peel away that outside. I thought that was the only way to eat them to be honest. I'm usually not a picky fruit eater and I'll eat strawberries with most of the stem attached. I'll have to try eating a kiwi without peeling it, it's just been habit to peel it.

Thanks for the random question. It's fun talking about random stuff.

4. Edgeymon profile image69
    Edgeymonposted 8 years ago

Frankly, i've gone all goosepimply that you just bite into it! The skin is horrible and makes my mouth itch! It makes me shudder to think of!

Personally, I slice the kiwi in half and use a small spoon to scoop out the innards! Tasty good!

5. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

I always peel it, I know you can eat the skin but it does not appeal to me. Or, I cut it in half and use a spoon to scoop it out.

6. salt profile image73
    saltposted 8 years ago

I dont tend to eat new zealanders, they are at times a bit leathery and we australians need someone to come second in the rugby, cricket and netball.

7. glenn wallace profile image73
    glenn wallaceposted 8 years ago

I grew up skinning the suckers. It wasn't until the last few years that a kiwi (of the New Zealand variety) actually filled me in that the skin was quite edible.

8. lowerabworkout profile image56
    lowerabworkoutposted 8 years ago

Ok I am a bit of a kiwi nerd..

I get a knife and cut off the opposite end to the stalk.  Then I go to the other end and carefully run the knife around the end, digging in as far as the little woody thorny bit in the middle but taking care not to cut through it.  Then, I ease the end off with the knife, a bit like opening an oyster, hopefully taking the very sharp pointy woody thorn with it.  If you have never tried this, you will be amazed at just how sharp the little thorn that comes out sometimes is - and some of you are just eating that!

Anyway, then I sit it on one end and slice downwards carefully to remove a section of skin, then rotate, and slice again, and repeat until all the skin is removed.  With practice you can do it without losing much fruit at all.  Finally, I cut it in half, lengthways, and each half I cut into four quarters. 

Oh yeah, then I eat it!

9. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 8 years ago

I cut it in half (vertically) and use a tea-spoon. I never tried eating the skin, looks too ... "hairy".

10. Lady_E profile image76
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

I like it sliced over vanilla ice-cream. smile

11. profile image0
    Derdriuposted 7 years ago

I like to slice those cute little kiwis and add them to salad.

12. profile image0
    Helpful Hannaposted 7 years ago

I cut it into wedges and eat it like an orange.  It's the quickest way I can enjoy it.

13. Mercia Collins profile image70
    Mercia Collinsposted 6 years ago

I cut the Kiwi fruit in half and scoop the flesh out of the skin with a teaspoon

14. profile image49
    Fruity Delightposted 5 years ago

I cut the kiwi into half, then I spread a little SALT at the kiwi fruit. It will taste very good. Next you can try my way!

1. profile image53
      animalistposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Awesome! I do the same!