jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Will food sites on the Web replace cookbooks?

1. Jai Warren profile image75
    Jai Warrenposted 8 years ago

Will food sites on the Web replace cookbooks?

2. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years ago

That's an interesting question.  While I don't think cookbooks will go away in the near future, recipe sites have been disruptive to the business.  Several sites offer high quality recipes all for free. And, free has led to the demise of several businesses like what Craigslist free classified ads did to newspapers.  I imagine there will be fewer cookbooks, and the brand of the cook will be incredibly important to sales of their books.  At the same time an opportunity has opened up for crowded sourced recipes online.

3. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 8 years ago

I love looking for recipes on the web or even making my own cookbook from printouts of online recipes.  But somehow, I don't think cookbooks will go away.  Some times it's just easier to carry a cookbook than a laptop, like when I'm cooking at someone else's house.  I have the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and it provides so much information and recipes in one place.

4. FoodBrat profile image54
    FoodBratposted 8 years ago

I think there is a disconnect.

It feels good to read a book. The pages in your hands, paper turning, the feel of a glossy text filled page is a lot different than a video screen that you just stare into.

Don't get me wrong, the computer will replace the book in functionality and ability to multi-task learn, ie...reading text, seeing pictures and video, but it is that disconnect from holding the book and flipping through the pages that gets me!

working