jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Tomato is a fruit and lettuce is a vegetable and they are not to be eaten in.co

1. aoiffe379 profile image54
    aoiffe379posted 8 years ago

Tomato is a fruit and lettuce is a vegetable  and they are not to be eaten in.combination...

Why is lettuce and tomato served together? They are served on sandwiches as well as in salads. isn't this wrong?Why is the public made to think such a combination is correct?

2. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

I've always considered tomato a vegetable, because it is often treated/cooked as a vegetable.  (It was a big joke when President Reagan said ketchup could be counted as vegetable in school lunches.)

I just looked it up again and see that your statement is correct:

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/ … her/tomato

People also put things like mandarin oranges in salads (with lettuce),  or puts nuts (legumes) in vegetables dishes.  Even having further clarified, for myself, that tomato is a fruit (and yet treated as a vegetable), I don't think there are any rules about whether to mix fruits with vegetables (or anything else) if they taste good together (and particularly if both foods offer a different type of nutrition).

3. profile image44
    Kavajoposted 7 years ago

Fruit in the botanical sense means the part of the plant produced by a flower that if fertilised contains seed.The word fruit is also used as a culinary term, but there is no botanical concept of vegetable. Vegetables can be leaves like lettuce or cabbage, roots like carrot or potato, or fruits like tomato, courgette, aubergine, and pumpkin.

There is no reason why you can't serve and eat them together. What makes you think this is incorrect? Why do you think the public is being misled? Sounds like the beginning of a nutty conspiracy theory...

4. reindeerz profile image69
    reindeerzposted 7 years ago

I also like Carrot and Raisin salad too smile

5. bullrider's mom profile image58
    bullrider's momposted 7 years ago

If it taste good together eat it. I put apples in my cold slaw.

working