jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

If a roving musician in a restaurant comes to your table can you tell them to go

1. Missing Link profile image81
    Missing Linkposted 2 years ago

If a roving musician in a restaurant comes to your table can you tell them to go away?

I was in an Italian restaurant recently with my Wife and ten yr old and there was a roving accordion player.  We did not want him to come to our table and he did not.  If he had though could I have told him we were not interested?  If so would it have been best to do so verbally or wave him away.  Or, would we just have to bite the bullet and endure the intruder?  We just wanted to eat and enjoy our time and not be part of a spectacle.

2. Alastar Packer profile image85
    Alastar Packerposted 2 years ago

Absolutely you must listen at your table, as long as the musician chooses to play - it's called the good manner rule of restaurant accordion busking. Seriously, though, all one has to do is give a polite smile, wordlessly mouth the words "no grazie" to the eyes of the musician, while gently shaking their head from side to side. If one prefers show, then act like your in deep conversation with somebody at your table. That can save face and feelings all-around.

Missing Linkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Alastar for the good advice and I will put it to use in the future if applicable!  I actually dislike this kind of thing so much that I don't think I will ever go to that particular restaurant ever again.

3. fpherj48 profile image76
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Link....You must be one of the first HP Pioneers!  I see you've been here 7 years.  Congratulations old timer!
    "Roving Musicians" are the "thing," more typically in restaurants in Europe, but even then, it's usually only in smaller more intimate dining places. It's not something we see all that much here in the States, although there are some we must endure.
    I have a feeling if we took a "poll" on the streets of your average diner, the roving musicians would fail miserably.  The vast majority of people go out to dinner, first of all to EAT (believe it or not!).  Their intention is foremost to spend quality, relaxing time with others.  Other than enjoying a fine meal, what else do people love to do around the table?  TALK to one another.

I can imagine your anxiety when you realized there was a roving (of all instruments!) ACCORDION player sashaying around the floor.  Please tell me he was not accompanied by a Mexican Spider Monkey on a leash!  LOL   You got lucky and he didn't visit your table.  Apparently he saw the look of  "OMG, please NO" on your faces.   Even those of us who love music can feel a bit uncomfortable or shall we say, "put out," by having to smile & pay attention to "Guido" on the squeeze box!!

Should you find yourself in this situation again, simply follow Alastar's instructions.  A polite shake of the head should do the trick.  If that doesn't work, just put a meatball on the end of your fork & take aim!

Thanks Paula!    Yes I've been around for a long time.  Too bad I have not been more prolific in my writings but I have enjoyed the experience.  You understand my feelings very well per the question at hand.  Thanks for the feedback, humor, etc.!

4. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

I've never been to a restaurant that was fancy enough for this sort of thing but I can imagine that it would be quite irritating. I'd probably throw a quarter at him and say "Shoo. Go away."

Thanks Keith!  Yes I don't like this kind of thing.  I can handle it if it is my birthday and employees sing happy birthday to me  but don't want a musician to just randomly come up to my table---

5. AshlyChristen profile image60
    AshlyChristenposted 2 years ago

haha just shake your head and wave your hand and they shall disappear! well...maybe...

6. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 2 years ago

Roving musicians can be very annoying when you're trying to have a relaxing dinner or intimate conversation. I think restaurants that have them should let diners know so they could opt out with a simple table marker that indicates "no, thanks!" This spares the customer the embarrassment of worrying about how to handle it.

1. fpherj48 profile image76
      fpherj48posted 2 years agoin reply to this

CT   Now that's using your head!  What a simple, Polite idea!

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Paula:) Fortunately, most restaurants don't have roving musicians!

3. Missing Link profile image81

Good idea---Thanks Catherine!

working