jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What meat do you use for chili? How do you prepare it.

1. medor profile image62
    medorposted 7 years ago

What meat do you use for chili? How do you prepare it.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

I like lean beef cut in small cubes, which I think is the most used with chili, but it can be made with almost any meat Actually one of my favorite ways is to use cooked cracked wheat (bulgar) in place of meat for a vegetarian version. Te taste and texture is very much like lean ground beef.

3. puebloman profile image60
    pueblomanposted 7 years ago

I like Rochelle's answer. Here in Spain we use a mix of pork and beef. You choose the cut and the butcher minces it while you watch.

You need lots of onions, olive oil and garlic mashed up with salt. Soften the onions with a couple of carrots and a stick of celery chopped fine (this is called a mirapois), fry the meat til BROWN (not grey). Pour in a carton of trituro (this is a half pint carton of thin tomato paste). Double the volume with boiling good vegetable or chicken stock. Add a sprig of fresh bay and another of rosemary and two small fresh chilli peppers chopped fine. Add two tins of red beans and reduce very slowly. Should taste hot and slightly sweet.

4. profile image0
    Amie Warrenposted 7 years ago

I use a 50/50 mixture of lean ground beef and TVP. I've done lean ground beef and turkey before as well. Anything to cut the fat.

5. womenintouch profile image59
    womenintouchposted 7 years ago

I use Turkey, Chicken, or Ground Beef all are great for Chili.I cook the meat and drain off any fat and someimes i cheat and buy canned beans but when I dont cheat I will buy the kidney beans. Soak them over night and put them in the crock pot. Once they are almost done i brown my meat, add seasonings , onion, bell pepper, chili powder and fresh steamed tomatioes., add a pinch of sugar  I let this simmer for one hours or so and when the beans are soft and tender i drain them and add them to the the sauce, allow  for simmer 20 minutes taste for perfection, add is should be ready to eat

6. Handicapped Chef profile image79
    Handicapped Chefposted 7 years ago

I use Ground beef 80 percent lean 20 percent fat this is for a basic chili....Now for a texas chili i use bottom round beef if you would like the recipes just drop me a link.

working