jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Does anyone grow their own veg?If so what do you grow and have you got any tips?

1. lilmissbookworm profile image65
    lilmissbookwormposted 7 years ago

Does anyone grow their own veg?If so what do you grow and have you got any tips?

2. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Yep, now is the time of the year (autumn) to plant onion sets and garlic cloves.  Onions are fairly easy, don't plant them in the same patch they occupied last season, plant them about 6 inches apart and staggered rows 6 inches apart, and net them after planting, the birds love to peck them out of the ground by the protruding tips.  Garlic is better planted in fresh compost in containers, they are susceptible to, and can carry, a number of diseases, if they infect the ground of your vegetable plot, that area will be taboo for alliums of any type for as long as 10 years.  Buy garlic cloves from a garden centre for growing, they tend to be disease resistant, you know nothing about cloves from supermarkets.

3. cascoly profile image60
    cascolyposted 7 years ago

it really dependswhere you live - last year our parsley and oregano stayed fresh throughout the winter. in other areas you have to wait til hard frosts are gone.

i've done a hub on what to do with the excess harvest you have:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Storing-your-ex … ut-canning

4. momster profile image59
    momsterposted 6 years ago

I grow a garden every year. Beans, peas, carrots, corn, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, watermelon, squash, zuccini, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, potatoes, cantalope, pumpkins, bell peppers.

Tips: I use straw on the top of the soil to help keep the ground moist and helps keep weeds down. Can also use newspapers and cardboard between the rows for less weeds and helps to not get muddy feet. Manure is good for gardening also. Dont need alot.
    Dont plant different plants to close together. Like melons and squash. Melons and cucumbers. They cross and you get some funky foods. If you plant yellow squash make sure you dont plant it to close to zuccini or pumpkins cuz your yellow squash will take over.
    Corn needs rows for pollination and needs lots of sunlight evenly. So plant in rows that will get good sunlight from all directions.
    Alot of plants can also be planted in planters. You dont have to do a large garden. I grew some awsome pumpkins in a larger planter one year. The runners were about 25ft long. With pumpkins if you want big ones just pluck some blooms off the vine so that the pumpkins growing will get the nutrients to grow. The more blooms the smaller the pumpkins.