jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What's the average tip % for tipping waiters/waitresses at restaurants?

1. itsandreawilson profile image67
    itsandreawilsonposted 7 years ago

What's the average tip % for tipping waiters/waitresses at restaurants?

2. eventsyoudesign profile image60
    eventsyoudesignposted 7 years ago

It was fifteen and for many it still is, but it is moving towards twenty percent. If you get great service you should tip accordingly as most server must live off of the tips that customers give them.

3. Alternative Prime profile image79
    Alternative Primeposted 7 years ago

Unless the "Tip" is included in the bill, at least 15% or just double the sales tax which should come out to a little more.

Be generous unless you get a Waiter/Waitress that just won the leading role in the upcoming flick " Godzilla  Impersonates Emily Post".

Usually they work for very close to minimum wage so tips go a very long way. It's a tough job and I personally like to tip well.

4. jenesmith01 profile image61
    jenesmith01posted 7 years ago

i start at 20 percent and depending on the service they may get more or less then that.

5. charleigh345 profile image60
    charleigh345posted 7 years ago

15%! Without a doubt. But, I also feel that if you get exceptional service and the waiter or waitress was not bothering you alot, except when you felt was appropriate, then by all means, do leave a larger tip!. Waiters and waitresses are only paid have the minimum wage. Having been a waitress in the past, I do know that if you are a good one? You will recieve not only a good tip, but I have also had customers tell a boss, what a wonderful waitress I was to them. I always went out of my way to make sure you had the condiments, that you would likely need to go with your meal, so as to not only cut down on me bother you, but also gave me more time to clean my tables, as most places I worked at, I was usually the only waitress, because I could waitress. There really is an art to waitressing, but sadly I don't see a lot of good ones, like I was trained many years ago, for our resturants in our family. However, I do try to remember that not all resturants, really know how to train their waiters or waitresses, on a right or wrong way to do things, as there is a right and wrong way to do them.

6. Patricia Costanzo profile image78
    Patricia Costanzoposted 7 years ago

My phone has a tip calculator feature.  Its preset to 20%.

7. 61MT profile image41
    61MTposted 6 years ago

I think people usually tip 15%.  It could be more or less, and I think people might even forget sometimes.

working