jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do you tip your waiters at least 15%?

1. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 7 years ago

Do you tip your waiters at least 15%?

2. profile image0
    Linda Myshrallposted 7 years ago

At least 20% unless the service is horrible.  It's hard, hard work and I admire anyone who can handle that day after day.

3. Barkley Rosehill profile image78
    Barkley Rosehillposted 7 years ago

Absolutely! But I suppose my opinion is a bit bias. My mother has been a waitress all of her life, and I waited tables for a few years myself when I was younger.
    Servers work very hard, and when I was a waiter (about 10 years ago) the hourly rate was just $2.83, and I don't think it has increased much if any since then.
    In my opinion good service deserves 20% or more, and even poor service still deserves 15%.
    In my opinion anyone who can't afford or is just too cheap to leave a respectable gratuity should not have someone waiting on them. They should be dining at home, serving them selves, and keeping that tip in their pocket!

4. kcreery profile image61
    kcreeryposted 7 years ago

I tip at least 15% in Canada.  It's the least you can do.  If the service was good I'll tip 20%.  If it's bad I'll tip 10-15%.  I used to serve so I can tell when the waiter is dogging it.

5. CJ Andrews profile image90
    CJ Andrewsposted 7 years ago

I generally tip 20%, service reflects any adjustments to this.  I do not have a problem stiffing someone if they are that off.  I was in the hospitality industry for two decades and if you get stiffed from me (it isn't easy) then you do deserve it.

6. profile image57
    rieomposted 7 years ago

I do and sometimes, when I can, more than that.  I was a waitress while going through college and it is hard work.  They deserve good tips although I do not see how restaurants can pay so little to their help and make the customers pay some of their wages.  Seems wrong to me.

7. wytegarillaz profile image76
    wytegarillazposted 7 years ago

Over here they don't tip a lot  like America as you  normaly earn about $18 hour, years ago at a chinese restaurant i was on $8 got some tips now & then but not a lot.

8. sachinbille profile image61
    sachinbilleposted 7 years ago

Yep....I do give tip but not regularly. And it ranges between 10 to 20 %. Its always good to reward somebody for their good work.

9. 23Hudson profile image56
    23Hudsonposted 7 years ago

Between 20-30% (my husband use to be a waiter). Unless it's really bad service.

10. FranYo profile image57
    FranYoposted 7 years ago

Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.  It depends.

I, too, used to waitress.  It's true that depending on which U.S. state you work in, you may be only earning pennies per hour.  Other states have to at least pay minimum wage.  That makes a big difference in how much the restaurant has to pay for its service people.

My irritation with tipping is that I feel the business is expecting the public, its customers, to bring up the wages of its employees.  Why is this?  Does anyone tip their doctor, their accountant, the fire fighters or police people who really make a difference in their lives?  Of course not.  So why is the public expected to supplement the wages of restaurant waiters and waitresses?  Has it become expected so that there is no sabotage of our food in its delivery?  Wouldn't it make more sense to tip the chef?

11. profile image0
    Lynn S. Murphyposted 7 years ago

I start at 20% and it goes down from there if the service is really horrible.Or it can go up. I'm pretty easy going and the service has to really really  bad for the tip to go down. Wait Staff has a tough gig and I appreciate their service.

12. carolp profile image80
    carolpposted 7 years ago

Yes, if i am satisfied with the services and the quality of how one manages a guest,

13. 61MT profile image41
    61MTposted 7 years ago

Yes, I always tip my waiter 15%.  It's the right thing to do.

working