jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you think certain ingredients are added to food that make it addictive?

1. BenWritings profile image78
    BenWritingsposted 7 years ago

Do you think certain ingredients are added to food that make it addictive?

Mass produced food, has been rumored to contain addictive ingredients that make you always come back for more, or have cravings for it.

I know I get cravings for Mcdonalds fries...

2. Rochelle Frank profile image96
    Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago

Interesting question . . . and another reason to avoid over-processed foods.
    I think caffine may be addictive. People who don't have their coffee sometimes report withdrawel-type symptoms, especially headache.
    The new fad of 'energy drinks' have lots of caffine plus other ingredients which may be harmful and are probably not fully disclosed.

3. Realkoyoable profile image56
    Realkoyoableposted 7 years ago

Yep. Take Coke for example. They used to add cocaine to their drink to make it addictive. I wouldn't be surprised if McDonalds were sprinkling McCrack on their fries.

Another reason why foods are addictive is their large fat and carbohydrate content. The body loves fat and carbohydrates (a survival mechanism). Also, a body used to high salt levels actually begin to crave salt.

Some days I crave Vegemite like there's no tomorrow, and eat it by the spoonful! big_smile

4. profile image0
    Rosemary Banksposted 7 years ago

You may be right. I have never had any kind of addictions but I do get the urge to drink a Coca Cola or a Dr. Pepper. Perhaps that's the caffeine.

5. essiheart profile image80
    essiheartposted 7 years ago

Caffeine is technically a drug. So yes, with most sodas the caffeine content makes it addicting. In food, there are definitely harmful ingredients (such as MSG) but I'm not too sure about addicting. I've never truly been addicted to any food I've eaten. But who knows, that's only my experience.

6. Daisyhead profile image57
    Daisyheadposted 7 years ago

Yes, caffeine is considered a stimulant and therefore addictive.  I have also recently learned that, as essiheart stated previously, MSG is added to many, many processed foods to make it taste better, and can be disguised under alternate names such as yeast extract, textured protein, protein isolate, and calcium caseinate to name just a few. 

This is a very dangerous and potentially life threatening additive and one to be avoided at all costs. 

To learn more, read Dr. Russell L. Blaylock's book "Excitotoxins, The Taste That Kills".

I believe that anything added to a food that has a physical effect on the way you feel (chocolate is a perfect example) can be addictive if not eaten in moderation.

All the more reason to eat right and read those labels!

working