What's the best way to make a sunday roast?

1. Lauryallan profile image79
    Lauryallanposted 6 years ago

What's the best way to make a sunday roast?

In the Uk it's traditional to make a sunday roast. I need to learn how to make a delicious roast chicken and what to serve it with. I have never made it before.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5490383_f260.jpg

2. Sam Dolloff profile image61
    Sam Dolloffposted 6 years ago

Well I am not from the UK but I do love a good roast Chicken.  I usually cook mine in a croc pot, generally I add some chicken or veggitable broth with it and some potatoes, onions and carrots around the bird.  Season the skin with some garlic salt or other spices.  I have also sliced an orange in half and put the two halves inside the bird to give it a little flavor and juice.

I usually cook it for about 8 hours on low, basting every hour and a half or so.  You can cut the time down and cook on high I just like the way it cook on low better.

I might just have to document my next roast and post it on here now Im hungry.

3. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

Slow cookers are great due to their convenience. You turn them on and walk away. They're not especially sensitive to time, and so you will have your chicken done and hot without much concern about overcooking. What you get is a braised chicken, though, not a roasted one. Roasting by definition is a dry heat method. You do it in an oven or on a rotisserie, not in a pot.

If your oven has a timer, and you're confident you'll be back before the bird burns up, you can use that. Otherwise you have to watch it.

You asked how, though. My favorite way of roasting a chicken is to rinse the bird well inside and out, pat it dry with paper towels, rub oil or butter over its skin, season it inside and out with salt and pepper, put a quartered lemon and a couple of sprigs of rosemary inside it, truss it up, and roast it in a standard oven until it's done, which takes around eighteen minutes per pound. Once it's done, take it out, cover it, and let it rest for a quarter hour before carving it so it will retain its nice juices.

This method is easy as it gets, and it has never failed me. The result is always delicious. I'll try to write up the recipe for you and post it on my Hub page later today.

Closed to reply

working