jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Where Does Chocolate Obsession Come From?

1. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Where Does Chocolate Obsession Come From?

I have been obsessed with chocolate since I was a child.  Why do some people like chocolate so much, while others don't like it.  Is it genetic?

2. stayingalivemoma profile image83
    stayingalivemomaposted 6 years ago

I can't speak for everyone else, but I actually have little pieces of chocolate embedded in my DNA.

3. renegadetory profile image99
    renegadetoryposted 6 years ago

I don't know if its true or not, maybe someone can verify for me, but I heard that if you don't introduce chocolate to a child until they are past the age of 4 or 5 (can't remember the exact age) they will never love chocolate.  I don't know how much truth there is to that, but its an interesting thought.

I can't say I'm obsessed with chocolate, except for a few days of the month.  Maybe its because eating chocolate supposedly releases the same endorphins in our bodies as having sex...

4. Ivel01 profile image61
    Ivel01posted 6 years ago

Researchers claim it is addictive:

- chocolate contains small amounts of drugs and stimulants, that might affect the mood tphenylethylamine, theobromine and caffeine.

- chocolate contains carbohydrates and little protein.  Eating such foods is assumed to boost the level off serotonin in the brain (the feel happy hormone)

- Chocolate has a pleasant structure and taste, which is believed to release endorphines - a chemical wich acts like an opioid ... it increases feelings of pleasure and reduces feelings of pain ...

5. cobrien profile image77
    cobrienposted 6 years ago

Chocolate is a feel good food, it literally increases the serotonin levels in the brain, enhancing mood, even though we don't really recognize it. I am bipolar and get strong cravings for chocolate, especially when I need my meds adjusted.

6. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

Moms and girlfriends on valentine's day influence kids - just kidding. Oh yeah, maybe Halloween and Christmas stockings.

7. europewalker profile image77
    europewalkerposted 6 years ago

I don't know where the obsession comes from, but I don't go a day without some type of chocolate. It's just delightful.

working