Could I substitute oatmeal for quinoa? I'm not a fan of oatmeal but like some of

1. nikkiraeink profile image60
    nikkiraeinkposted 6 years ago

Could I substitute oatmeal for quinoa? I'm not a fan of oatmeal but like some of its benefits.

2. FrugalandFab profile image58
    FrugalandFabposted 6 years ago

Quinoa is an amazing source of protein and certainly an incredibly healthy choice. I would argue that the protein levels in quinoa alone would make it a healthier choice than just a bowl of plain oatmeal. However, if you were to make the switch you may want to consider adding in some fiber as quinoa cannot boast the fiber benefits oatmeal can. You can do this easily by adding berries, figs, or prunes in, or sprinkling in a bit of oat bran. I hope this helps!

3. chefsref profile image80
    chefsrefposted 6 years ago

Steel cut oats might be similar in texture but require much longer cooking than quinoa. Qunoa is the only grain that provides a complete protein profile so for that reason alone they are not interchangeable. For a porridge you could mix quinoa and regular oatmeal to get the benefits of both. For a side dish or stuffing I would rather mix steel cut oats and quinoa but cook the oats for 15 minutes before adding the quinoa..

working