jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Should waiters receive all their tips or should tips be collected and divided?

1. ithabise profile image84
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

Should waiters receive all their tips or should tips be collected and divided?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

I feel they should go to the individual waiter they are intended for.  Sometimes you get outstanding service and would like to reward that by giving the individual a nice tip.  Pooling them takes that element out of it for the waiter and I would think make them less likely to try and give outstanding service.

3. profile image50
    altmancarolineposted 6 years ago

As a former waitress I have worked in both scenarios. My opinion is that pooled tips work best. It encourages team work among co-workers and I feel benefits the customer as well.

Have you ever been dining at a restaurant, needed something and your waiter is no where to be found? In a pooled tip scenario all the staff work together to serve the entire restaurant, not just their own tables.

Chances are whichever waiter you find will be more than happy to bring you what you need in order to offer great service and encourage a better tip from that table for the over all pool.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Waiters receive all their tips. I didn't give them money to give it to someone who doesn't deserve it. They treated me right, so I will treat them right. Not the person who didn't serve me.

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

they should get every penny of their tips. i didn't give the tip because someone else served me well, i gave it only because of my server.

6. profile image49
    msherrettposted 6 years ago

As I said above, all tips should be collected and divided.  It is not only a more fair approach, but it is also more lucrative for serving staff.