Why Aren't My Biscuits Light And Fluffy?

1. JohnM profile image60
    JohnMposted 6 years ago

Why Aren't My Biscuits Light And Fluffy?

How do I make great biscuits?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6185060_f260.jpg

2. LoriSoard profile image76
    LoriSoardposted 6 years ago

Did you add some baking powder? That should help them rise. Getting the perfect mix takes a lot of time and practice. There are also factors like the type of flour you use, etc.

Sorry, unless I'm working up a recipe to publish online, I never measure anything. I just throw some in and it usually works. You may be able to get details on amounts from a recipe.

3. crazyhorsesghost profile image76
    crazyhorsesghostposted 6 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6185192_f260.jpg

The first thing you should do John is make sure your baking poder is fresh and make double sure that you sift all the dry ingredients together. This will make sure you end up with the texture you desire. You really have to have a good sifter to make great biscuits.

Shortening is also the preferred fat over butter since shortening is a more refined product and will add lightness. Butter makes biscuits more solid.

Be sure your ovens temperature is right and really the only way you can do this and be 100 percent accurate is to have a heavy duty oven thermometer in the center of your oven.

Sticky slightly wet dough makes the best biscuits. If you like biscuits with crusty sides, place them 1 inch apart on a shiny baking pan. For soft sides arrange them close together in a shallow baking pan. Either way when your biscuits just start to brown remove them from the oven and brush the tops with melted butter.

Butter Milk Biscuits

1/3 cup of butter cut up in small pieces.
    2 cups self rising soft wheat flour.
    3/4 cup of buttermilk
    Melted Butter and a kitchen brush.

Mix the 1/3 cup of butter into the flour until crumbly. Add your buttermilk until the dry ingredients are moistened.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times.

Pat the dough out to 3/4 inch thickness and place onto a lightly greased baking pan.

Bake at 425 degrees for 12 to 14 minutes and just before you take them from the oven brush with melted butter.

White Lily Self Rising Soft Wheat Flour makes the best biscuits you will ever eat.

I hope there are homemade biscuits in your future real soon.

John let me know how the biscuits turn out for you.

Try making your biscuit dough in your food processor. You will find that you can make your biscuit dough in the food processor and it will always turn out better than by doing it by hand.

working