jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

How can you tell if a mango is ripe and ready to eat?

1. mvaivata profile image60
    mvaivataposted 5 years ago

How can you tell if a mango is ripe and ready to eat?

I can pick out a mean melon, but I've yet to have mastered the art of picking a mango!

2. cyoung35 profile image86
    cyoung35posted 5 years ago

The way I like to pick them out is to press on the fruit and if it gives slightly with firm pressure then ussually it's a good ripe mango.

3. jonsswagger1978 profile image58
    jonsswagger1978posted 5 years ago

The more yellow it becomes with a lil red means it is ready to eat.

4. smzclark profile image62
    smzclarkposted 5 years ago

The less green it is, the more ripe it is.
    I always push my thumb into it (but some wouldn't as it would bruise it) and if it doesn't take much effort to sink into the mango slightly, then it is ripe.
    Also, the more it smells like the fruit rather than the skin, the more ripe it is :-)

5. pharuk temmy t profile image39
    pharuk temmy tposted 5 years ago

There are several ways to know if a mango is ripe but the common way is to see the colour of the mango change to yellow which indicates that its ripe,another way is there by pressing the mango if its soft then you know its ripe that is for the green mangoes, mangoes that are green at outside can only be known to be ripe by cutting a little of it and see if the inner is deeply yellow.

6. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

One of my Jamaican friends, who used to grow mangos in Jamaica told me:  Not by colour, there will be give at the point where the fruit is attached to the plant if slight pressure with the thumb is applied.

7. Blond Logic profile image96
    Blond Logicposted 5 years ago

This is a good question. I live in Brazil and have mango trees. If a mango is soft it can also be from bruising. Trust your nose, if it smells sweet (through the skin) it is ready. You can pick them green/yellow and let them ripen in a fruit bowl. I have written a page about mango jam where it shows how to cut one.

8. hoteltravel profile image71
    hoteltravelposted 5 years ago

By its ripe, sweet, fruity smell. And, it should be soft to touch. Compare smell and feel of unripe and ripe mangoes and you will be an expert in no time.

9. MojoDawg profile image60
    MojoDawgposted 5 years ago

Mangos are great, I love to grill them, if it is starting to yellow it is ripening, gently press around the neck will give you a better idea of ripeness, a little give is perfect.

working