jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Is it safe to occasionally eat mango skin?

1. Jangaplanet profile image79
    Jangaplanetposted 5 years ago

Is it safe to occasionally eat mango skin?

2. dhannyya profile image81
    dhannyyaposted 5 years ago

yes...occassionally.....but do not eat regularly...you may get stomach pain

3. DeanCash profile image61
    DeanCashposted 5 years ago

Mango skin is to be eaten, not discarded Some compounds in mango skin help fight diabetes and some forms of cancer and mango skin also has an ingredient which lowers cholesterol levels.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 5 years ago

Yes, mango skin is edible.  Many fruits have more nutrients in the skin than the actual fruit itself. I don't know if that is the case with mangoes, but I do eat the skin when I eat a mango.

5. coffeegginmyrice profile image83
    coffeegginmyriceposted 5 years ago

Do you mean a raw mango? As a Filipino, I love to eat raw mangoes, ummm...now, you're making me salivate! (Your fault.)

We eat it like a snack and the vendors selling them are lining outside the school campus and in markets. We savour it with salted shrimp paste or just dip a mango slice with rock salt. Some raw mango munchers would have their whole mango peeled off its skin; I eat mine as is with the skin on. It is important for any fruit to be properly rinsed before eating it, though.  smile

I am not sure about eating the skin of a fresh ripe mango, though I certainly have swallowed bits of it before, heheh. This is probably not easy to digest unlike the raw skin except from a Mango Marmalade? Oh yes!

Mango tango,

6. blessedp profile image82
    blessedpposted 5 years ago

It has been safe for me and I love mango, especially "East Indian and Julie", try not to consume too much.  Have you ever had curried cooked green mangoes?

7. lex123 profile image68
    lex123posted 5 years ago

When we were children we used to eat mango with skin, especially raw.  Even while making dishes with mango, we used to cook sometimes with its skin.  However, we were advised to eat it moderately, and too much mango skin is likely to cause stomach pain.

8. Anjili profile image82
    Anjiliposted 5 years ago

I never peel my mango. I gobble the whole fruit except for the seed. I love the pectin in the skin and also the rich flavour, both of which are absent in the pulp. I've never suffered from stomach pains.

9. am301986 profile image60
    am301986posted 5 years ago

Mango skin is completely safe to eat. Although it is edible, the experience isn't unlike trying to eat the skin of a banana. I've tried it but I won't say I liked it.

10. Vegas Elias profile image30
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

Eating a bit of mango skin along with mango was advised by my parents to ward off boils on the face which people in India normally get due to over consumption of mangoes. I believe in it and even now I eat a bit of mango skin along with the mango once in a while.