jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (23 posts)

What specific food you hated eating as a child or teen?

1. Janellegems profile image66
    Janellegemsposted 5 years ago

What specific food you hated eating as a child or teen?

2. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Lima Beans.  I lived with my aunt and uncle when I was a teen and all they asked is that I eat one lima bean as I hadn't tried a lot of different foods.  One single lima bean isn't a lot to ask--but it was huge for me. I hid it in my milk. 

In retrospect, they would have saved themselves a lot of grief and me too if they had just let it go.  I learned to eat all that stuff as an adult - ok not lima beans - but other foods I wouldn't eat as a kid.

3. whaturmissing profile image83
    whaturmissingposted 5 years ago

Parsley.....I know you are thinking that's strange because parsley has no flavour or taste.  As an adult I learned that it wasn't parsley but instead CILANTRO.  Ahh, it all makes sense now.

Janellegemsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.

4. LaThing profile image74
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

Brussel sprouts, cabbage, and fish!! But now, I eat all of them smile

1. carol7777 profile image91
      carol7777posted 5 years agoin reply to this

We do change.

5. Charlu profile image82
    Charluposted 5 years ago

Liver and I still can't stand the smell of it to this day.  My mother used to make me eat even if I vomited it up and then go back and eat more. Yucccccck.  That is one item you will not find in my house EVER.

6. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 5 years ago

tomato soup, and I still hate it. I can't stand the smell, the texture, the look, or anything about it. I will be sick at the sight of it.

I don't like tomato soup either.

7. carol7777 profile image91
    carol7777posted 5 years ago

Believe it or not I hated pizza and Mexican food.  Not today!

8. Rosie writes profile image88
    Rosie writesposted 5 years ago

Cooked broccolli....the smell of it still makes me gag to this day.  Mom only made me eat it twice, both times I vomited. She decided I wasn't faking it the 2nd time. The strangest thing though is that eating it raw has no effect on me.

9. Sage in a Cage profile image81
    Sage in a Cageposted 5 years ago

I hated eating mushrooms as a child. I hated eating mushrooms as a teen. As an adult I still detest mushrooms!

10. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

I hated swedes - I think they are called rutabagas in the U.S.  We used to get them in school lunch and everyone hated them. There were always loud noises of disgust from all the kids when we saw them.  The catering staff used to chop them up with carrots to try to prevent us avoiding them, and we all used to spend ages fishing out the carrots and leaving the swede behind in a little heap.  I don't know why they didn't just give up and stop buying them. I've never met anyone in my life who likes them.

11. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

I hated all forms of pasta because my mother didn't know how to cook it properly.
    I also hated spinach and watermelon- and won't eat it now, either.

12. Volitans profile image81
    Volitansposted 5 years ago

Anything made by Chef Boyardee. Truly atrocious poison masquerading as food.

I definitely agree.

2. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
      Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You're right - I'd forgotten Chef Boyardee - not just the food but that inane jingle on the commercials - "meatballyallyally, Chef Boyar-Boyadee" That was a form of torture smile

13. moonfairy profile image81
    moonfairyposted 5 years ago

my mom used to make this chinese chop suey that I despised....it had scrambled hamburg in a dark sauce with bean sprouts, chinese celery, water chestnuts and peppers and she would serve it over white rice. The bean sprouts would make me gag...lol! I still won't eat it!

14. Efficient Admin profile image92
    Efficient Adminposted 5 years ago

Lima Beans, Kidney Beans, and liver.  To this day I still don't like these three foods!

15. pstraubie48 profile image88
    pstraubie48posted 5 years ago

My least favorite food as a young girl was cooked spinach. It was slimy and gooey and it was not pleasantly aromatic. Now eons later, I am huge fan of spinach. I like it raw and cooked. Two of my favorite treats are spinach pie and spinach pizza. Yum. Thank you. NOW, I want some.  big_smile

That's really awesome.

2. profile image0
      Starmom41posted 5 years agoin reply to this

both of my kids have always loved spinach.  I used to buy & cook it for them, but would never touch it myself!

16. hazelwood4 profile image78
    hazelwood4posted 5 years ago

I have to say I hated brussel sprouts the most as a child.  My grandmother would make me eat the horrendous vegetables.  But, would you believe as an adult I now like eating brussel sprouts now. It is amazing how our taste-buds change as we get older.

working