jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

A challenge for all the cooks out there!

1. Jennifer Stone profile image87
    Jennifer Stoneposted 5 years ago

A challenge for all the cooks out there!

Bearing in mind that I'm cooking on a wood burning stove with no oven or grill, how can I cook chops without them turning out tough as old boots?

2. Barnsey profile image80
    Barnseyposted 5 years ago

Double wrap in a long tinfoil tent and place some water in the outer layer. As the water steams upward it will cook the chop and keep it moist at the same time. the key is to keep adding water as needed and be sure not to overcook!

3. MickS profile image74
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Wrap in foil parcels and put in the oven for about 20 minutes or a steamer for about the same  time.

4. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 5 years ago

Add some broth to a pan.(Pan should be wood stove safe of course and have a cover) You can use chicken, or veggie. Your choice. Cut up a carrot, onions, and potatoes (or veggies of choice). Put chops in pan. Place veggies over chops. Cut up one apple. I like to use granny smith apples. Add spices to taste. A little salt and pepper and so on. Put lid on pan, and leave to cook until done. You will need to add more liquid. You can alternate between more broth and water. You chops will be juicy, and tender. The key is to keep the meats moist with liquid. It keeps them from drying out. If you want, at the end of the cooking, you can sear them on each side for 1 minute to brown them up.  I cook on the wood stove all the time!

5. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 5 years ago

Moisture is key..........

simmer them slowly

Sear both sides, and then finish them off with a slow roast......do this over coals.

Marinate or brine them, ever before you begin your chosen cooking method........actually, I  am probably one of the last hold-outs for brining meat!

working