jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Can I use lemon instead of lime in a salsa recipe without altering the taste too

1. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Can I use lemon instead of lime in a salsa recipe without altering the taste too much?

I am fresh out of lime, but I do have a lemon - would a squeeze of lemon juice instead of lime juice alter the taste too much?  Since they are both citrus and I have fresh cilantro in my recipe (which is SO good with lime) can I use a bit of lemon instead?

2. Randy M. profile image87
    Randy M.posted 5 years ago

I believe the lime will give you a better flavor.  I am partial to limes because of they have that characteristic.  But lemon is the only acceptable alternative when there aren't any, but it will be a bit more acidic.  Maybe you could alter it with a few drops of orange juice to make it a bit sweeter.

3. KL Klein profile image84
    KL Kleinposted 4 years ago

I prefer the taste of lemon, so I always substitute them. It seems reasonably similar [but better!]

4. Spanish Food profile image92
    Spanish Foodposted 9 months ago

You can usually substitute citrus fruits for each other in most recipes fairly easily. Lemon and lime are the most interchangeable, since oranges add more sweetness and grapefruit adds bitterness. It does alter the flavor of the dish, but not in an unpleasant way. In salsa, it is fine to use either lemon or lime, depending on what you have on hand.

5. Deborah Minter profile image93
    Deborah Minterposted 7 months ago

I love lemon and lime. The taste will be different but both will taste good.

6. Jackie Lynnley profile image89
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 6 months ago

I prefer the taste of lemon to lime with lime being more bitter and for which is best it is totally up to the individual. The two are almost indistinguishable nutritionally.

working