jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Jaffa cakes! So are they a cake or a biscuit? (Please explain your answer)

1. Jennifer Stone profile image86
    Jennifer Stoneposted 5 years ago

Jaffa cakes! So are they a cake or a biscuit? (Please explain your answer)

2. Mazzy Bolero profile image80
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

I understand it was decided in 1991 that they were to be classified as a cake by Customs & Excise.  Chocolate-covered biscuits have to have 20% VAT added and chocolate-covered cakes do not, so this was an important issue for the manufacturers - and lovers of Jaffa Cakes.  The Adjudicator, Potter, QC, accepted McVities' arguments that Jaffa Cakes were like cakes in that they get hard when stale, whereas biscuits go soft. Technically, it was all about moisture ratios.  It may be that he was also swayed by the argument that they were mainly eaten by children.  Most people would regard them as a biscuit, but since that means paying 20% extra, they keep quiet about it. Of course, most Hubbers are American and won't have a clue what we are on about. These are cookies.

3. LaThing profile image74
    LaThingposted 5 years ago

Yes, most of us are Americans here on hubpages, but some of us have been exposed to the British culture smile
    To me they are COOKIES, you can call them biscuits if you like. The only thing I know is that they are yummy!! I still buy them here at the grocery store in the foreign food aisle. I am glad they sell them here, lol.....

4. christin53 profile image81
    christin53posted 5 years ago

To me they are a luxury biscuit not really big enough to be a cake and they are always found in the biscuit aisle of the supermarket not the cake.