jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

The food colors affect the taste.Is it true or is it just a perception?

1. learner365 profile image77
    learner365posted 5 years ago

The food colors affect the taste.Is it true or is it just a perception?

2. tonymead60 profile image93
    tonymead60posted 5 years ago

I think it depends which food colouring you are using. They should not change the taste, that's not why you would normally use them. But it might well be argued that they can change your idea of what sort of taste you are about to experience. Certain colours make some food look more inviting, I can't imagine just plain cup-cakes for instance, get out the pink and blue, the bright yellow; they will not change the flavour, but they are more fun!

3. Amy Becherer profile image72
    Amy Bechererposted 5 years ago

Nature endowed food colors and the process of photosynthesis that helps create specific colors for specific produce does add to the taste experience (yellow tomato vs red).

Artificial food coloring is added to enhance the color of food for visual and appetite augmentation.  Scientific research has proven that visual enticement and appetite are interconnected.  Gourmet chefs place equal importance on, not only the preparation of the food, but attractive plating to entice the palate.

There has been considerable discussion and debate regarding artificial color enhancement of foods, since it involves additives unnecessary to anything other than altering the appearance of the food.  At best, artificial food coloring does not change the fundamental benefits of food, but depending on the chemicals used, theoretically, any additive could cause harm if ingested by someone allergic to any component and the long-term consequences are not yet fully known.

4. HarperDavis profile image59
    HarperDavisposted 5 years ago

It depends. I do think our perception goes a long way in this though. I remember when green ketchup came out and my mother and sister said it tasted different. Nope, not really. It was just colored green is all.

I also try to make foods with a variety of colors. Pale or less colorful food doesn't seem as appealing to me.