jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

What do you look for in a recipe on Hubpages?

1. Leroyworld profile image60
    Leroyworldposted 6 years ago

What do you look for in a recipe on Hubpages?

I have some definite opinions about what makes a good recipe; however, I would like to get some other viewpoints than my own.

2. Cobrafan profile image80
    Cobrafanposted 6 years ago

Specific amounts of ingredients and a detailed step by step process.

1. leroy64 profile image82
      leroy64posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  I will take a look at the process in my hubs.

3. syedsalman profile image42
    syedsalmanposted 5 years ago

I noticed guys don't put videos of their recipes... i would be just great smile

Leroyworldposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Videos.  Yes, I see how that could be helpful for illustrating techniques.

2. Attikos profile image78
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm a writer. I can't get my heart into audiovisual media.

4. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

I look for convincing evidence the recipe is original, which is to say the author has developed it himself. A lot of recipes, both here and elsewhere, are merely plagiarized and rewritten to give them an appearance of freshness. Those are worthless, so I sift for genuine knowledge as best I can in reading one.

1. leroy64 profile image82
      leroy64posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Judging from your hubs, you have some advanced cooking skills; and,  I like the writing style in your recipe hubs.  You are setting the bar high; but, what is the use of a low bar?

2. Attikos profile image78
      Attikosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What's the fun in doing anything if you don't leap high?

5. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 5 years ago

That's a good question.  Occasionally, I will post a picture of the final product, just because it helps to show what it's supposed to look like, for example, when I make guacamole, I like it chunky, so I will mash the avocados with a spoon rather than use a pastry blender or a regular blender that would make it creamy.

I like to have a picture of the final product; but, sometimes I have a little difficulty taking a good picture - although I am getting better with practice.

2. profile image0
      LikaMarieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Some foods are difficult to photograph, so I know what you mean.  If it helps, you could plate it first, to give it that extra special appeal.  I find some foods photograph better in the serving dish, others photograph better plated to be served.

3. Leroyworld profile image60

Plating the food could be a hub in itself.  I know a few basics.  Give the food some height and stay off the rim, that sort of thing.  I wonder if there is a hub on the topic.  Off to check.

6. CynthiAnn profile image60
    CynthiAnnposted 5 years ago

I suppose a recipe needs more than just words and numbers to make the recipe good.  However, I think a lot of the fun in cooking is found in experimenting.  If you are wanting a specific result though, a recipe should have good structure, simple instructions that you do not have to look at five times to make sure you are accomplishing it correctly, proper ingredients list, and I personally like if substitution ingredients are posted beside the "original" ones just in case some of them aren't an ingredient people don't always have available.  Substitutions aren't always available for the same taste quality of the creation, so that's just my personal opinion. :-P
    It is also nice to have a picture of the finished product, so the person using the recipe can grade the "look" of their product.  Even complicated recipes can be conveyed through simple instructions that are much more easy to follow while cooking.

Simplicity and Substitution. I like the comment.  Thanks

7. chipped teacup profile image92
    chipped teacupposted 5 years ago

Well thought out instructions are a must.  I also look for something with simple ingredients that are inexpensive and easy to get ahold of.  If it is dish featuring meat including vegetarion/vegan versions make me very happy!

8. mwilliams66 profile image60
    mwilliams66posted 5 years ago

I look for photos of the prepared food, clear, concise directions and a bit of an intro story.  A video is always nice but is not necessary.  I also really like to see health benefits.

working