jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)

Is it necessary to refrigerate butter?

1. MickiS profile image83
    MickiSposted 5 years ago

Is it necessary to refrigerate butter?

2. Georgie Lowery profile image96
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

Although I would normally say yes, my Grandma kept a dish of real butter softened on her kitchn counter. I don't guess it ever went bad, it got eaten too quickly.

3. profile image0
    susanm23bposted 5 years ago

You are supposed to refrigerate butter for longterm storage.  I have a special dish that I keep on the counter for everyday use.  It has 3 parts--an outer dish that you fill with water, an inner dish made of unglazed ceramic where the butter goes and a lid.  It keeps the butter fresh--and soft for spreading.  You only have to change the water every few days.

1. MickiS profile image83
      MickiSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Where did you get that dish, susanm23b, if you don't mind me asking?

2. profile image0
      susanm23bposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi MickiS,
      I ordered mine from QVC years ago.  I'm not sure if they still have anything like that anymore.  I have seen similar products around and about--mine is similar to "Silvermark Butter Boat" on Amazon.  Hope this was helpful smile

3. MickiS profile image83
      MickiSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It was. Thanks, Susan.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
      DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

RE:  susann23b's dish:  you can also sometimes find these as hand-crafted items at craft fairs.  We had a booth next to a potter one year, and she was sellling these kinds of butter keepers that she'd made herself.

4. nochance profile image94
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

Nope. I leave mine out on the counter and never have a problem with it... except during the summer months. I don't have air conditioning so it just turns into a liquefied blob.

5. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

My Grandmother never did. Which made it so easy to spread. It even seemed like it tasted better?

6. rex michaels profile image83
    rex michaelsposted 5 years ago

I have found that real butter gets so hard in the fridge it is almost impossible to spread without tearing up the toast. I always leave mine out. In fact I have made my own butter in the past and I believe I could build a house with it because it sets up so hard.

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image97
    DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years ago

I grew up in San Francisco--the butter lived on a cupboard shelf in its dish.  San Francisco gets very few days of temperatures high enough to melt butter.  I do recall one or two "melted-overflow" messes however..  ;-)

I have never refrigerated the butter currently in the serving dish--only the 'backstock.'

8. vespawoolf profile image97
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

It depends on the climate. When we lived in the Andes where it's cold, butter never spoiled. But when we lived in the North near Ecuador, the semi-tropical climate wrecked havoc on everything. Butter left on the counter too long either melted or spoiled in a short period of time.

working