jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Which flowers are edible and good to use in recipes?

1. Athlyn Green profile image97
    Athlyn Greenposted 5 years ago

Which flowers are edible and good to use in recipes?

So far, I flavor foods with lavender and roses. What other flowers are edible?

2. profile image75
    Annabelle Tylerposted 5 years ago

Nastirtiums, which are usually yellow or orange, and violets.

3. Foodstuff profile image94
    Foodstuffposted 5 years ago

Yes. As Annabelle Tyler says, nasturtiums are great in salads. Violets are very pretty, especially candied but that is a real art form in itself.

Consider using rose geranium leaves to line the bottom of a pan of a sponge cake.

You can make rosemary jelly to (wonderful with lamb!) - the rosemary sprigs with flowers look very pretty in the jar.

Then there is the gloriously fragrant torch ginger flower (Malay name: bunga kantan) which is an essential in many Malaysian - particularly Nonya - dishes.

I've got a Hub about Edible Flowers if you are interested. smile

4. CookingAnnie profile image73
    CookingAnnieposted 5 years ago

You would be surprise which flowers are edible. Pansies, violas, safflowers, anise, the blossoms from just about any fruit tree, begonias, geraniums, squash blossoms, and calendulas are just some of them.

Edible flowers are always best when home grown without pesticides. I plant mine alongside my herbs. Sometimes if you plant your flowers and herbs in the same spot the blooms will pick up a touch of the herb creating a unique flavor.

Some of my best salads have flowers in them and I have a lovely recipe for rose sorbet.