jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What's the best milk substitute?

1. Athlyn Green profile image96
    Athlyn Greenposted 5 years ago

What's the best milk substitute?

2. JayeWisdom profile image92
    JayeWisdomposted 5 years ago

I prefer organic almond milk (specifically, Pacific Natural Foods brand), which you can buy in original or vanilla flavors. It's good in cereal and for cooking, which is the only way I use a milk substitute. (In addition to being lactose intolerant, I never liked the taste of actual milk, even as a small child.)

I also don't like the taste of soy milk and, unless you are careful to buy only organic soy foods, you run the risk of consuming soy contaminated with hexene. 

I no longer use rice milk since reading the news report warning that rice leaches inorganic arsenic (the dangerous type) from the soil.

Buying food these days is like traversing a minefield, isn't it? So far, I've read nothing negative about almonds or almond milk, but I still buy the organic type just to play it safe.

3. ladyfountain1 profile image61
    ladyfountain1posted 5 years ago

I think almond milk is the best, especially over regular milk. It's naturally made and can be made in your kitchen.

4. suziecat7 profile image90
    suziecat7posted 5 years ago

I get the unsweetened coconut milk by SO Delicious. It's not sweet at all and tastes the closest to cow milk which I miss.

5. vespawoolf profile image98
    vespawoolfposted 5 years ago

I love almond milk. It's easy to make, too. Just boil some water and soak a handful of almonds overnight. In the morning blend with your favorite fruit for a healthful and delicious smoothie.

6. WishhingGirl profile image60
    WishhingGirlposted 5 years ago

I grew up never wanting to drink milk. When I was in middle school I tried soy milk and I didn't really like it, but I preferred that over cow milk. In high school I tried almond milk and I love it. Out of all the milk I would drink almond would be on top